Author Topic: 19th century marriage registrar's office  (Read 4791 times)

Offline gmggmg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
19th century marriage registrar's office
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I have found a marriage from 1869 which took place in the registrar's office in Killarney.  The religion of the parties is not stated.

I always thought all marriages back then were in a church.

What would this mean?  What does it imply (generally speaking) if a marriage was not in a church?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 19th century marriage registrar's office
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 09:12 GMT (UK) »
There are numerous reasons for Registry Office marriages years ago- family disapproval, recent family bereavement, wanting a quiet/secret wedding, one of the couple married previously, bride pregnant...

Forgot to add different religions as a reason. Also know of one couple who married in registry office because their own minister didn't approve of bride's friend being bridesmaid.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 February 09 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have one in my husband's family tree, in 1886 - thinking about the possible reasons, I think probably the most likely reason is that he was non-conformist. His family were Unitarians, and the rest seemed to have got married at the St. Marys in Nottingham (*must check a couple of his brothers' ones, though - glad you brought this up!)
Have to admit I was a bit surprised at finding a register office wedding, for that period.
I did notice that in the family album there was a photograph of a print of her parish church on fire! Wonder if that's telling us something!
Paulene :)

Offline gmggmg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 February 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for the information.

I also was surprised to find it, nowadays of course we are used to marriages in a registry (registrar's) office, but for some reason I didn't expect to see such a thing in 1869.

I suspect the reason was different religions, but I'll check out the other possible reasons.

The bride's father was a witness, so presumably he approved of it.   

Thanks again.