Author Topic: Nagle/Donovan Families  (Read 2296 times)

Offline suep968

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nagle/Donovan Families
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandfather Patrick Nagle from Courleigh married Honora Donovan from Rosscarberry at the Catholic Chapel of Rosscarberry in 1864.  I know that Patrick Nagle died sometime between 1901 and 1910 and Honora I would say probably between 1927-1930.  I have a couple of letters from Honora to my great aunt the last one written in 1927 and the address is simply Richfordstown, Clonakilty, Cork.  How big/where is Richfordstown?
Apparently my great grandfather and his siblings were born and grew up at Richmond Farm, Clonakilty.  The eldest child Mary inherited the farm which caused a huge family row and lead to her siblings moving away.  When I find out about when Patrick Nagle died will I be able to find a copy of his will anywhere?

Any info on the Nagle and Donovan families and places where they lived would be great.

Sue

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nagle/Donovan Families
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Sue,

Richfordstown is a townland, not a parish so you won't see it on a map - about 4 miles from Clonakilty.

This could be your Patrick Nagle's death register from the indexes on the LDS pilot search:

Patrick Nagle - Death aged 83
Registration District: Clonakilty
Sep Qtr 1911
Volume 5 page 39

for his address at death you'd need to order the cert from Roscommon records office, you can download a form from the site but then have to post it off. Photocopies are the cheapest at about 4 euros (last time I ordered one).

For his will you'd need to contact the National Archives office in Dublin which has a website.

Good luck
Leofric

Offline jude de angulo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nagle/Donovan Families
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 22 04:40 GMT (UK) »
i have also done a search for the Nagle/ Donovan families, you will see at the Cork Archaeological Booklet of 1905, and the Topographical survey by Colonel Grove White also of 1905 reference to the Nagle family tomb and vaults at Shanballymore, Templeroan near Castletownroche and Doneraile , the tomb has this inscription.
This monument was erected by Garrett Nagle jnr Esq Anno Domini 1796 to the   
      memory of his ancient family, whose burial place this old churchyard has been for
      several hundred years back. Among whom were interred here was the founder’s
      great grandfather, Garrett Nagle Esq, late of Clogher, the very near relative
      of  Sir Richard Nagle, Bart., Knight of the Shire of the County of Cork, Attorney 
      General, Speaker of the (Irish) House of Commons, Secretary of State and Lord
      Chief Justice  of  Ireland. His Wife Mary, daughter of Sir T.B. Purcell, Bart. of
      Annakissa.  Edmond(sic) Nagle Esq son of the said Garrett and Mary and his wife
      Catherine Fitzgerald lineally descended from the house of Desmond. The founder’s
      father and mother. Garrett Nagle Esq son of the said Edmond and Catherine, aged
      74 years and his wife Eliza(beth), daughter of Patrick Nagle Esq. late of
      Shanballyduff, and Helena, daughter of O’Donovan of Castle Donovan, aged 70
      years. She was aunt to Admiral Sir Edmond Nagle and cousin-germain to the Right 
      Hon. Edmond Burke.
      The founder’s brothers Patrick and Edmond Nagle, the former aged 23, the latter 39
      years. (And on the side of the tomb): Sacred to the memory of Ellen Sarah Nagle,
      devoted wife of Edmond Nagle, Ballinamona Castle, died 11 July 1845 in the 25th
      year of her age. Robert Nagle died 1723. Robert Nagle (another) died 1735 aged 13       
      son of Edward Nagle and Elizabeth Collins (great aunt of Michael Collins), Garrett
      Nagle died 1724, Mary Nagle died 1732 aged 5 years.