Author Topic: Horning Ferry Inn - WW2 bombing  (Read 15600 times)

Offline Paul_Roberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Horning Ferry Inn - WW2 bombing
« Reply #18 on: Monday 27 June 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
The booklet mentioned in this article might also be of use - http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2010/10/the-ferry-inn-horning-an-eventful-history/

If you are keen for a copy of "A Norfolk Village At War" by Charles Carrodus you will find a copy on Amazon UK at the moment.

Also wonder if this gives you any leads  - http://www.flickr.com/photos/43688219@N00/2434476573/

A.
I came across this site & thread quite by accident. I was checking the location of the Ferry Inn and saw that unfortunately I had missed the 70 year commemoration of the events of that awful night.  After following a few links this site came up. The reason I was looking for the Inn was because my Grandfather is Flying Officer Harold Paul Roberts, I'm Paul Roberts. I have been to the Ferry Inn on a couple of occasions with my parents, both of whom sadly died with two months of each other in November 2010 and January 2011. On the first visit we arranged for the Padre' from RAF Coltishall to perform a service at Harold's grave. The second time was when we attended the closing down day at RAF Coltishall. Both times we went for lunch at the Ferry Inn. I'm amazed to find someone else also related to an airman killed on the same night.

Offline Fineline

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
A reference to this bombing is made in Robert Standford Tuck's account of the Battle of Britain, Fly for your Life. page 221. He was at the Ferry Inn on the night, leaving shortly before the bombing due to a premonition of the disaster. According to that account there were crews from 257 and 222 Squadrons along with many locals.

Offline CoastalPlains

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 January 12 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul_Roberts, I'm sorry to hear your relative was involved (and that it's been 6 months since your post!) I don't know if you'll check this.
I went to the 70th commemorative event, it was a really busy night, the pub was packed and it was quite respectful to the events of 1941.  Not sure it'd be of any use, but I'd be happy to chat to you about it if you'd like to PM me.

I am trying to track down the historian who organised it, Eddie Steele (Steel?)
I briefly spoke to him that night and he had some great info about my Suttons research, so I asked for his phone number or email address, but he told me to just pop round to his house any time...
I don't suppose he is a member of this site?  I don't feel right just turning up at his house (he didn't give me the address, just roughly described it).

Offline Beatintime

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
According to informal family records my grandmother Alice Bertha Crews (nee Rushmore) died in this bombing, and she certainly died on this date. I can find no reference to her in lists of civilian casualties in relation to the bombing. She had lived with her husband Samuel George Crews in Lowestoft prior to the war and might have moved alone to Horning to avoid the frequent air attacks on Lowestoft, or have been visiting.

I would appreciate any information that readers might have.

With regards,

BIT

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi BIT

Welcome to RootsChat

Have you seen the burial details for Alice and Samuel on the Lowestoft Cemetery Index

see
http://apps.waveney.gov.uk/pages/cemeteries/Lowestoft/colman_ditcham.aspx

Alice's address was given as Flint Cottage, St Peters Street, Lowestoft

regards
yokel

Offline xbettyb13x

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 October 23 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi this is a message for Coastal Plains- I am researching the history of the Sutton Family as Henry lived in my house in 1910-1918-did you manage to find any information on your relatives-I do have some.