Author Topic: Horning Ferry Inn - WW2 bombing  (Read 15601 times)

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Horning Ferry Inn - WW2 bombing
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 March 09 15:56 GMT (UK) »
No probs...anytime...nice to meet you.....if you put the mystery on here someone may be able to help if you are stuck.

Steve 8)
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher

Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 March 09 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Since my original post I've found another member of the family who was killed there. From what I can make out they may have lived next to the Inn, but I'm not certain...

When I was googling I found reference to a family in the house next door, but for all my tries I can't find it again. Was it the Grange? It was destroyed as well.

Rog

Offline CoastalPlains

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 March 09 23:30 GMT (UK) »
It was The Gideons. You may have found my notes online (as Steve did!) though :)

Steve it was great to meet you too and sorry I couldn't stay long. The article is very helpful, I'd never have known about the niece otherwise, as she doesn't share their surname.
I want to dig for her info myself for a while, as I'm really enjoying the process of all of this. I'll ask for a hand if I get stuck though!

I'm going to add some of the article here later, in case it can help anyone else.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 March 09 09:07 GMT (UK) »
You probably don't need it now but CWGC will give you a print out of all the Civilian War Dead recorded for that date.  One of the bigger town libraries may have the CWD list for Norfolk.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline CoastalPlains

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I actually found all of this through CWGC!
Someone here mentioned it on another thread, so I put my families' names in and hey presto.
I think I'm getting there on the niece's name, but I need to find which sibling she came from.

Thank you all for your help on this one

Offline chinditcoy1967

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 August 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Really interested in what happened during the 26th April 1941.

My grandfather ( LAC WJ Smith, RAF) was killed in the Ferry Inn while based at Coltishall.

Family knowledge had it that he only went for a couple of pints to have a quiet night away from work.

How unlucky can you get.

Any local info would be of interest

regards

Offline CoastalPlains

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 August 10 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Chinditcoy1967

I'm sorry to hear your grandfather was also involved in this terrible incident.

I'm not at home at the moment so can't check whether he is mentioned in the article that Pompeyboy mentioned, but I'd be happy to pass a copy of it on to you if you'd like.

The Ferry Inn re-opened recently, so I got to go and have a look around (and a very nice chilli con carne!) There is a plaque on the bar about the bombing.

Offline CoastalPlains

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Just awakening this old thread to alert anyone who was interested to an event being held at the Ferry Inn on 26th April (the 70th anniversary of the bomb) organised by a local historian.
There will be live music, a plaque unveiling and a minute's silence; there was an article about it in the Evening News yesterday:
http://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/food-and-drink/norfolk-food-features/horning_pub_remembers_tragic_event_from_70_years_ago_1_868398

Offline Attleborough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 April 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
The booklet mentioned in this article might also be of use - http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2010/10/the-ferry-inn-horning-an-eventful-history/

If you are keen for a copy of "A Norfolk Village At War" by Charles Carrodus you will find a copy on Amazon UK at the moment.

Also wonder if this gives you any leads  - http://www.flickr.com/photos/43688219@N00/2434476573/

A.