Author Topic: Matthews family of Purfleet  (Read 7406 times)

Offline Dorking123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthews family of Purfleet
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I have two siblings born in Purfleet

Emma Matthews abt 1814 & Seering Hall Matthews abt 1817

The parents are James Matthews born abt 1786 & Sarah Elizabeth Brown b1786 in Milton by Gravesend (just across the river)

I suspect they were married in Purfleet

Could someone please help me with this family who moved to Dover around 1820

The later births in Dover were non comformist (Countess of Huntingdon Zion Chapel) but are in the Kent archives

I am also intrigued by the name Seering Hall Matthews which I can only confirm from his death in 1892

Thanks

Gerry

Surrey: Todman, Ellis,Dale(Fetcham)
Hampshire: Dale(Laverstoke&Overton), Crimble(Overton)
Suffolk:        Hiskey,Bragg,Mason,Tyler,Leeks,Pryke,Fletcher,Woods,Wymark,Mann,Godden,Pearl,Smith(Elmsett),Masters,Grimsey,Gilbert,Warren,Deersly,Balls,Betts
Kent: Marsh,Matthews,Stunt(Sandwich),Curling,Horton,Cuckney,Rapley,Wickens,Bennett
Sussex: Cuckney,Parker,Duffell,Duffield,

Offline Clincher2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Matthews family of Purfleet
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
The only registers deposited at Essex RO for Purfleet, St Stephen are banns for 1915-1936 (D/P 587/1/1).
If that church/parish still exists it is a fair assumption that the church still retains all other registers (because the pages have not yet been filled up).
If that church/parish no longer exists or was not created until 1915 t may be worthwhile pursuing the West Thurrock connection referred to below.-
Essex RO have a note to the effect that banns for 1963-1971 see St Clement's, West Thurrock.That is an old parish
PS (at 17.55) I have since found out from Google that St Stephen's Church is still there. It is associated with Saint Michael's Aveley

Offline Dorking123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
As I had no replies I went to Chelmsford myself a fortnight ago & actually found Emma Matthews baptism under West Thurrock C of E although they were non conformists

Also found another sibling I knew nothing about - John baptised 26 Aug 1812 also West Thurrock

Unfortunately no trace of the marriage though, so back to Canterbury for another trawl through the various parishes on Sheppey where I knew they lived for a period

Thanks anyway

Gerry
Suffolk:        Hiskey,Bragg,Mason,Tyler,Leeks,Pryke,Fletcher,Woods,Wymark,Mann,Godden,Pearl,Smith(Elmsett),Masters,Grimsey,Gilbert,Warren,Deersly,Balls,Betts
Kent: Marsh,Matthews,Stunt(Sandwich),Curling,Horton,Cuckney,Rapley,Wickens,Bennett

Offline bromwich38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 02:07 BST (UK) »
Edmund Israel Matthews b 1820 in Kent married Elizabeth Austin Pike 5 May 1833 in Hougham near Dover, Kent. He named his fourth child Seering Hall Matthews b Dover, 1840. The family moved to New Zealand abt 1848. Seering Hall Matthews married in New Zealand in 1862 and called two of his sons Edward Seering Matthews and Seering Frederick Matthews.
 There must be a connection as Seering is a very unusual christian name.

Offline Dorking123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 August 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the marriage info which is new to me

I have in fact now got a lot more on this side of my family

Edmund Israel Matthews was born 29th Jan 1810 in Queenborough Kent & was baptised there on the 2nd Feb the same year

He was the fourth of eight chidren born to James Matthews & his wife Sarah

He died on the 13th October 1895 in Auckland NZ & had seven children that I know of

Four were born in Kent the last three in Auckland

I can explain the origin of the Seering name but it is all rather complicated - Edmund's Aunt Elizabeth born 1776 married a Seering Hall in Queenborough on the 20th December 1796

They had six children but unfortunately Elizabeth died shortly after giving birth to twins on the 1st Nov 1808

I have researched this whole family extensively as Edmund's parents are my 3x great grandparents

If you are related please send me a personal message with your email address & I can send you some genealogy reports

Thanks

Gerry

Offline bromwich38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 08:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Gerry,
How do I send a personal message?
I don't want my email address made public.

Offline Dorking123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thats why I asked you to use the personal message service!

On this site go to help then click on personal messages

In the meantime I'll send you one with my email address in it

Offline DC KIWI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 December 10 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. I stumbled across this via Google. Edmund Israel Matthews is my great x 3 (maybe 4?) grandfather. I live in Auckland and have a sea chest with a hand written card tacked inside the lid, saying 'Edmund Israel Matthews, Royal Engineers, New Zealand' . My father had it restored about 30 years ago. I believe he came to NZ after spending some time in Hong Kong and I think Canada before that, as well.

Offline bromwich38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 December 10 23:59 GMT (UK) »
I am connected to Matthews family through wife of Edmund Israel Matthews. She was Elizabeth Austin Pike chr 1 Oct 1812 Brixham, Devon. My g g grandmother was her sister Jane Pike b  15 Sep 1819 Dover, Kent.
 Their parents were Philip Pike, Mariner and Elizabeth Austin(Austen).
Bev