Author Topic: Matthews family of Purfleet  (Read 7405 times)

Offline DC KIWI

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthews family of Purfleet
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 December 10 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I thought the age she is given in the archived death notice below was a bit young, as her husband was 80 at the time! Obviously a typo that should read 78 years.

MATTHEWS.
Funeral Notice, Herald, 13th June 1890.
Elizabeth Austin Matthews died 12th June 1890, aged 48 years, wife of Edmund Israel Matthews.

Offline bromwich38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 December 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth and her husband migrated to N Z. Her sister Jane Pike married Thomas Head in 1843 in Dover and three of their sons migrated to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and one went to Canada.

Offline DC KIWI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 December 10 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Matthew Hunter (my great great uncle) , detailed in this link,is a grandson of Edmund's. He was a famous scientist, who was the first person to produce useable titanium. He did top secret work for the US military in WW2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_A._Hunter

Offline bromwich38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 December 10 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Who were Matthew Hunter's parents? I looked up N Z Births and found Matthew Albert Hunter b 1878 parents Scott Hunter and Ann Caroline. Was Ann Caroline daughter of  Edmund Israel?

Offline Dorking123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matthews family of Purfleet
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 December 10 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Ann Caroline was not a child of Edmund Israel Matthews (1810 to 1895)

I can confirm that Elizabeth Austin Matthews was indeed 78 at the time of her death in Auckland in 1890

I know nothing about your great great uncle Matthew Hunter & would be grateful if you can explain his ancestry further

Thanks
Surrey: Todman, Ellis,Dale(Fetcham)
Hampshire: Dale(Laverstoke&Overton), Crimble(Overton)
Suffolk:        Hiskey,Bragg,Mason,Tyler,Leeks,Pryke,Fletcher,Woods,Wymark,Mann,Godden,Pearl,Smith(Elmsett),Masters,Grimsey,Gilbert,Warren,Deersly,Balls,Betts
Kent: Marsh,Matthews,Stunt(Sandwich),Curling,Horton,Cuckney,Rapley,Wickens,Bennett
Sussex: Cuckney,Parker,Duffell,Duffield,

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 December 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Purfleet (some say named after Elizabeth 1 relating to her poor fleet) was a small place where everyone knew everyone until recent years

with that in mind could Sarah Mathews born around 1800 be related?

1851 census
139 Grays, Essex
Samuel Pasterfield.................   head.......   52...........   chalk pit lab............   Warley, Essex
Sarah......   "..............................   wife.........   50...........................................   Purfleet, Essex
Samuel...   "..............................   son..........22...........................................   Grays, Essex
James.....   "..............................   son..........17...........................................   Grays, Essex
Daniel.....   "..............................   son..........9.............................................   Grays, Essex
Alfred......   "..............................son..........   7.............................................   Grays, Essex
+ 3 lodgers
-------------

1841 census
Lime Kiln Row, Grays, Essex
Samuel Pasterfield.................................   40...........................................   Y (born in county)
Sarah......   "...............................................40...........................................   Y
Henry.....   "...............................................20...........................................   Y
William...   "...............................................20...........................................   Y
Eliza.......   "...............................................15...........................................   Y
John.......   "...............................................15...........................................   Y
Samuel...   "...............................................12...........................................   Y
Mary.......   "...............................................10...........................................   Y
Uriah.......   "...............................................8.............................................   Y
Joseph....   "...............................................4.............................................   Y
Daniel.....   "...............................................1 month..................................   Y
-------------

4:00 am on the 20th November 1837.....Grays, Essex
Samuel Pasterfield comes into the World. Samuel's father is Samuel Pasterfield a labourer who works with lime and Samuel's (junior) mother is Sarah Pasterfield (nee Mathews)
Samuel's twin brother John also came into the World (birth is registered on the same page). Sadly neither appear in the census of 1841 so one has to assume they both died, although I cannot see death registrations to confirm this.

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dorking123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 December 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »
No not a relation I'm afraid

Edmund Isreal Matthews (born Queenborough in Jan 1810) was the first (known) child of James Matthews - he was born 19th Feb 1783 in Queenborough, Kent

I do not know where or when James Matthews (1783) married his wife Sarah (1786) but I think her surname might have been Brown - she gives her birthplace as Milton in a later census - this could be Milton by Gravesend or Milton Isle of Sheppey

There was an Elizabeth Matthews born in 1776 in the earlier generation but she married a Seering Hall in 1796 & died having given birth to twins in November 1808 also in Queenborough

The family were in Purfleet from around 1810 to 1820 whence they moved to Dover

Hope this is of some help

Surrey: Todman, Ellis,Dale(Fetcham)
Hampshire: Dale(Laverstoke&Overton), Crimble(Overton)
Suffolk:        Hiskey,Bragg,Mason,Tyler,Leeks,Pryke,Fletcher,Woods,Wymark,Mann,Godden,Pearl,Smith(Elmsett),Masters,Grimsey,Gilbert,Warren,Deersly,Balls,Betts
Kent: Marsh,Matthews,Stunt(Sandwich),Curling,Horton,Cuckney,Rapley,Wickens,Bennett
Sussex: Cuckney,Parker,Duffell,Duffield,

Offline hunterkc60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Matthew Hunter is my Grand Uncle.
Matthews parents were Scott hunter and Ann Caroline the daughter of Mr & Mrs J Moore of Auckland New Zealand

Offline DC KIWI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I got my wires crossed and realised straight away, sorry. He is my great great uncle, but not on the Matthews side.  A bit embarrassing  :-[

You must be my mum's cousin that has lived in the UK for a long time. J.H?