Author Topic: Bethuel Baseley - Upper Boddington, Northants - The Fenian Raids !!  (Read 6528 times)

Offline howesd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bethuel Baseley - Upper Boddington, Northants - The Fenian Raids !!
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 21:33 GMT (UK) »
The Fenian Raid - Baseley Family
Added by mmrhowes1 on 2 Sep 2008

A stranger arriving at Woodford and enquiring for Mr. Bethel Baseley would perhaps be greeted with stony looks of astonishment but if he asked for Charlie Baseley or the old veteran, everyone would be able to direct him to the old fashioned rambling cottage in the High St. where an old soldier, who served the Queen on the battlefield well over half a century ago is passing his declining days full of years and honour.

Despite his 83 years Mr. Baseley still has the look of the old soldier, and when I called to interview him recently he rose from his chair in the chimney corner and drew himself up with a military air, his eyes sparkling with the eagerness and enthusiasm of youth as he spoke to me of his years with the Colours.

Mr. Baseley was drafted to Canada in the troopship Himalaya.  Soon after they arrived in the Dominion the FINIAN RAID of 1866 broke out and Mr. Baseley's regiment under Colonel Hawley were sent up to cope with it.

It is interesting to note that Mr. Baseley's many officers included a young Lieut. Buller who afterwards rose to fame as Sir Redvers Buller, one of the most tragic figures in the South African campaign - "He was a good soldier and a perfect gentleman" said Mr. Baseley and he added "poor old Buller, they did him in".

After a short campaign the Fenians were driven over the American border, but the next year fighting broke out again.  The fighting was of the "tip and run" variety but gradually the soldiers wore the Fenians down when it was discovered from the captures made that they were armed only with rifles having a range of 300 yards wheras the KRR had just previously been served out with the new Schnider rifle which could be sighted up to a mile.  Thus the regulars were able to inflict losses on the Fenians without coming under the range of their fire.  Gradually they drove them along the coast near the Niagara Falls until they took to their boats. The British troops had them covered with big guns, but they were unable to fire them because the Fenians had entered American territorial waters.  A USA gunboat came on the scene, however, and captured the whole lot of them, and the incident was closed. 

The operations were conducted by the Canadian Government and Mr. Baseley was high in praise of the way in which they fed and looked after the Troops.  The raids however were carried out in the winter months, and the weather was very severe, "enough to starve us, I can tell you" the old veteran remarked. 

Two or three years later Mr. Baseley saw service again, this time under Field Marshall Sir Garnet Wolseley in the Red River Expedition against the rebel Louis Riel.  Mr. Baseley served 5 years in Canada and his total service with the Colours amounted to 15 years and 1 day.

On leaving the Army, he was placed on the Reserve, and in 1878 was called to the Colours again on the occasion of the Russo-Turkish War, but was not sent out of England.

Thirty years after the Fenian Raid he made application for the medal issued by the Canadian Government, and this was granted to him together with a small pension, which is now merged in his Service Pension.

"When I joined the Army", Mr. Baseley said, "the conditions were different from what they are now, but a soldier's life was not a bad one, and on the whole we had a very good time.  The pay was small, 1s 2d a day, and out of that we had to provide our own rations, so we did not have a great deal for ourselves.  The rifleman's full dress consisted of black trousers and tunic, with red facings, and 'the old shako', this latter giving place to a forage cap for undress wear.  Discipline was very strict and cleanliness was always insisted upon, but I was never crimed in my life".

Mr. Baseley came to Woodford in 1893 and for a little time worked for Messrs. Oliver, the contractors, afterwards being employed in the sand sheds at the Great Central Railway, which position he had to relinquish on reaching the age of 65 years.  This did not mean the end of his career, however, for he still tills his allotment - a chain in extent - and does the whole of the work himself.

Additional information about this story
Description Taken from Newspaper interview - In the Armchair - 
Date c1924

Attached to Bethuel Baseley (1841 - 1930) 
Mold - Middleton Cheney, Northants.
Sewell - Woodford Halse/Middleton Cheney, Northants.
Anthony - Worcs/Shropshire
Howes - Thetford, Norfolk/Sheffield
Rix - Barking, Essex/Oxford
Callow - Deddington, Oxon
Baseley - Upper Boddington, Northants.
Tucker - Blackawton, Devon
Summerell - Bristol, Somerset/Gloucs.

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bethuel Baseley - Upper Boddington, Northants - The Fenian Raids !!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
What a interesting read & great photo. Regards Nipy

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting.
 I see you have Sewell Woodford in your interests.
 I have that name twice in my tree, Millicent Seawall who married Joseph Meacock ( Maycock) in 1718 at Woodford cum Membris and then in the 19th century. I have it on the edge of my tree with Richard Sewell of Byfield who married into my Steel line. I also have Emmanuel Mold of Middleton Cheney who married into my Newman line.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline howesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I have a bit of information on Emmanuel Mold on my tree (my great grandmother was Emma Mold of Middleton Cheney her mother Jane Newman from Farthinghoe !!).  Emmanuel was the son of George Mold b1785 and Elenor Sumner b1790.  I have Emmanuel marrying Johanna Newman but no further info - The Sewells on my tree are proving hard to find -- I just cannot find the link although I do have the will of Richard Sewell the Blacksmith at Woodford Halse naming my Sewells, Henry, Thomas and Ann of Thenford and Middleton Cheney respectively - but cannot find a suitable birth for Henry Sewell of Thenford to link them.

Keep plodding on !!
Regards

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have taken as many graves that were readable (and not) of Woodford Halse.

I noticed some to Sewells of the 1820's.

I wondered if they would be of any use listing for you here.

I can not see one to the wonderful person the post started with, yet the Churchyard
has an area that seems to have been cleared of graves (photo below).

Also there are 2 Baseley men mentioned on the War Memorial in the Church Grounds.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline howesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I would be very pleased to receive any lists at all - I can claim the Baseleys on the war memorial - they are sons of Bethuel (a fine fighting family) !!  On this photograph attached of Woodford Halse Church - the Sewell graves including the Blacksmith Richard are clearly shown.  Thank you very much for responding so positively.  It's good on here eh!!

A Fine Fighting Family !!!
Added by mmrhowes1 on 20 May 2008

"Bethel" was the name conferred upon him at his baptism but all his life he was known by the more 'prosaic' and less scriptural name of "Charlie".  He worked on the land for a while and later as a platelayer on the Midland Railway at Codner Park, Derbyshire.  He enlisted at Nottingham in the 60th King's Royal Rifles in 1864. After undergoing training at Winchester he was drafted to Canada in the troopship Himalaya and fought in the Finian Raids.

Married in 1872 Bethel and Elizabeth were able to celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary. Four of five sons served in the field, only one survived, Alfred. In addition four sons-in-law served in the war, one being killed and also a daughter joined the WAAC. A grandson and several nephews and other relations also answered the call during the Great War - a record for which any family can be proud - (taken from Newspaper Report on the Death of Mr. Charlie Baseley of Woodford Halse).
Closure to a Fine Soldiering Career.

The funeral of Mr Charlie Bethel Baseley took place on Tuesday at 2.30 the Rev. F. A. Smith officiating.  The coffin was borne on a Army gun carriage from the Weedon barracks, with Trooper N. Grompridge 8th Hussars and Driver R. Roberts of the 18th Brigade Royal Artillery and was draped with the Union Jack.  Members of the local branch of the British Legion carried the coffin to its last resting place, and a large number attended to pay their last tribute of respect to the deceased.

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Howesed,glad you've had a good respond to your thread & that your enjoying this site,I should have said welcome ! regards Nipy

Offline howesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nipy - let's say I'm finding my feet !! ;)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Howesd

I am not sure whether you have this or not then.

The photographs are better quality, yet they have to
be reduced obviously to show here.  :)

Also whether you have a close up of the grave.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright