Author Topic: Ryan Family  (Read 8422 times)

Offline BedBugs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ryan Family
« on: Thursday 26 February 09 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I am looking for my 3 great grandparents. Their names are Timothy Ryan and Catherine Murphy both b c1810 Their son
My 2nd Great Grandfathers name was Jeremiah Ryan he was Baptised at St Michael's in Portarlington Co Laois on the 22/1/1832.

Jeremiah married Mary Kelly b c1832 on the 4/10/1857 at St Michael's in Portarlington Co Laois

They had 3 children that were all baptised at St Michael's in Portarlington Co Laois ... They were Catherine bap 9/1/1859  Mary 12/5/1861   Bridget 16/8/1863.

They emigrated to England sometime between  1863 and 1866.

I do not know if Timothy and Catherine went to England as well or not, I do not know if Jeremiah had any siblings and I do not have any information on my great grandmothers.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as i am at a brick wall

Thank you for reading this and hope that you can help.
Ryan, Murphy. Kelly,

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bedbugs & Welcome to RC,just wondered if you noticed that there are only 3 Timothy Ryan listed  in Griffith's Valuation for Queen's Co (one is a Rev so not him)the others are at Ballyroan & Durrow.May mean nothing but living next to Timothy in Durrow is John Kelly!!!! worth a fellow up ah,good luck in your research regards Nipy

Offline BedBugs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 09 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nippy

Thank you for your reply, but how do I find info from the griffiths valuations? I am in Australia and I have no idea how to find Irish records. Can you by any chance give me any clues.

Best Wishes Carol aka Bedbugs
Ryan, Murphy. Kelly,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 09 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Here's a link to Griffith's Valuation you can search by name or place, view scanned images of the printed pages and in some cases view maps:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BedBugs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 09 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been to Griffiths Valuations but it dosn't tell me who is living with them.  I am trying to find Jeremiah's siblings and parents.

Thank you anyway
Carol
Ryan, Murphy. Kelly,

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 February 09 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,the only way you will find out more is by trying to see the parish records & see if Timothy & Catherine Murphy had any more children christen,maybe some kind soul that lives locally could do a look up for you,starting at ST Michael's where Jeremiah was christen.Sorry I can't help you out.Just abit of info into  what the area was like Portarlington had the railway link in 1847,if they did come from Durrow in the early 1800's there was a brickworks & carpet factory there ,later the carpet factory was relocated to Abbeyleix & it is said they made carpets which were fitted for the Titanic!!! By the way I'm sure you will already know Portarlington is now  in Co Laois which was once called Queen's Co------- once again sorry I can't help you out---Nipy

Offline BedBugs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 February 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nipy
Thanks for the reply I have a funny feeling that maybe Timothy did come from Durrow as I have parish records for Jeremiah Baptism, his marriage and his childrens baptisms, that I got from someone else but they didnt have anything on other members ... it was interesing hearing about the brickworks and carpet factory I know nothing about Ireland I didnt know I had relatives that came from Ireland till about 8 months ago ... all the counties are a bit confusing and no census makes it very hard but will keep trying

Carol aka Bedbugs
Ryan, Murphy. Kelly,

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 February 09 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Ronnie Matthews has a home page that includes his e-mail address. Ronnie is the local Historian in Portarlington and may have information about the Ryan's.
Ronnie Matthews, Portarlington will get his page.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 February 09 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been to Griffiths Valuations but it dosn't tell me who is living with them.  I am trying to find Jeremiah's siblings and parents.

Thank you anyway
Carol

Griffith's Valuation is a valuation record of property which lists head of household not a census which lists all the members of the household.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!