Author Topic: Thomas BELL Knaresdale Hall Northumberland 1680-1760  (Read 10802 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas BELL Knaresdale Hall Northumberland 1680-1760
« on: Thursday 26 February 09 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information about the land owners who lived at this property during the period mentioned. My ancestor Thomas BELL lived there with his wife Anne WALLIS during some part of this time. I am wondering also whether their father John BELL also lived there at an earlier time. John BELL was married to a Margaret WILLSON. John BELL was born in 1672 and died at Alston in 1716. Any information or reference is much appreciated. Thanks, Rob

Offline David Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas BELL Knaresdale Hall Northumberland 1680-1760
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 11 01:33 BST (UK) »
I am a descendent of a Thomas Bell and Ann Wallis.  I show he had a son Richard Bell born 1723.  Richard married Mary Watson and they had a son John Bell born 1755.

According to my records Ann Wallis was the daughter of William Wallis and she died 4 Jan 1764.  My records indicate Thomas died 23 January 1755.  Both died at Alston, Northumberland, England.  I don't have a date of birth for Ann but show Thomas to be born in 1690 to a John Bell who was born about 1665.
Bell Northumberland England; John Gray Bell (1823-1866); Robert Bell 1630 Bellasis Married Elizabeth Oliver 1671;

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 11 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi David, Thanks for the interesting reply! Do you know for certain that the Thomas Bell (died in 1755) is the same person? Is there adequate information of his birth as well?? I have had contact with another Bell researcher who claims we are descended from from John of Gaunt through an illegitimate line of the Royal family!! The main problem is that I have never really discovered the actual birth details of that particular Thomas Bell (ie born about 1690 at Knaresdale), hence any connections further back look very shaky. As you say the father was supposed to be a John Bell of Merry Knowle or Know. I believe if we can establish Thomas's birth record then we are really on our way!! Looking forward to your reply. Cheers, Rob

Offline David Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob, Thanks for the quick reply.  I am new to rootchat so I hope this will work.  Try going to this link for a book published in 1832 

http://books.google.com/books?id=AxYMAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA290&lpg=PA290&dq=History+of+Northumberland+John+Bell+Bellasis&source=bl&ots=R8nfiMnuwb&sig=xSE75BdPnUcuI8Tw-skX2d43Xzc&hl=en&ei=1GVRTvyuAsf2gAeQhIyJBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Page 290-291 of The book recites information on the lineage of the Bell family of Bellasis.  The Mary Slingsby who married John Bell of Bellasis is the connection that traces back to John of Gaunt.  My ancestor John Gray Bell compiled a genealogical account of the family in 1855 which he published for his father Thomas Bell (1785-1860).  This is the Thomas Bell referred to on page 290 in the book.  I can e-mail you a copy of John Gray Bell's work if you like.  Send me a message at *

I look forward to sharing information with you in the future.

David

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Bell Northumberland England; John Gray Bell (1823-1866); Robert Bell 1630 Bellasis Married Elizabeth Oliver 1671;

Offline B Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All!

I am descended from a family of Bells from the Durham/Northumberland area. My ancestor William Bell was from Muggleswick and was born 1803. His parents were Robert Bell and Mary Pearson.

Robert Bell and Mary Pearson married in 1800 in Sunderland, with the two witnesses being family members of Mary. Mary Pearson was born in Garrigill, Cumberland. While Robert was from Durham.

A family tree on Ancestry.co.uk, had a Robert Bell married to a Mary Pearson. Unfortunately I dont have access to the Member Trees anymore. However, it does say that his parents were Robert (Snr) and Eleanor Dixon, and further searches on the tree showed that Robert Snr's parents were Thomas Bell and Ann Wallis.

Does this seem to follow your tree at all?
Any help in trying to find the ancestors of Robert Bell (who married Mary Pearson) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 October 11 02:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response Ben..I am certain that this is the same family. Especially if it goes back to Thomas Bell and Ann Wallis. In my own family line I know that I descend from this couple but the problem about this is that I am not convinced about the lineage beyond on the Bell line! There seems to be inconsistencies and a missed generation according to the John Gray Bell genealogy. I am really looking for more concrete and unambiguous information about the previous Bell generations, starting with exactly when/where was Thomas Bell (Knaresdale) born and to which parents? Hoping you may be able to help too?? Cheers, Rob

Offline B Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
I am still unsure about the link from Robert Bell (who married Mary Pearson) to his parents Thomas and Eleanor Dixon. So I am still unsure about the reltionship to Thomas and Ann Wallis. So Im afraid any help I can give is limited.

Do you have a copy of John Gray Bell's work?

Ben

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 October 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
Yes certainly can you please give me your email address and I will send it. Cheers, Rob

Offline B Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 October 11 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Sure thing, sent you a private message.