Author Topic: BURKE - Wexford to USA  (Read 2937 times)

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURKE - Wexford to USA
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 07:10 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out where in the USA  my Burke ancestors' ended up? Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

My Burke ancestors all seem to originate from the Boolavouge area of Enniscorthy/Ferns in Co.Wexford, Eire.

Regards

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I think Ardrahan is in Co. Galway which is the opposite end of Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Maybe someone else will have better luck, but I don't see any passenger lists that seem to match someone coming from that area.  There are good number of Ann(ie) Burkes born Ireland circa 1903 on the 1930 Census, and it may be impossible to determine which, if any, is her without any other information.   

I don't know what's available to you, but if possible, I would recommend starting on the Irish end of things and see if you can get a date of birth or any other detailed information.   I assume there weren't any other family members who went to the US?

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the correct Burke family in 1911 Irish census but there's a Patrick age 6 and Anne age 7 along with other children- Ballytracey is about 10 miles northeast of Enniscorthy town:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/The_Harrow/Ballytracey/678274
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 14:59 GMT (UK) »
The parents and children in the above post appear in a family tree for Michael Burke and Ann Leary.  The birth date for Patrick Joseph Burke is given as 29/09/1905 in Ballytracey, Enniscorthy, Ferns, Co Wexford, Ireland. A date of death appears as 1976 in Bolton, Lancashire. Married to a Margaret Sutherland 20/01/1910 in Corbetstown, Enniscorthy,Ferns, Co Wexford, Ireland who also died in Bolton. Lancashire in 1980. No specific dates are given for the other children.

An enquiry was added to the middle of this thread 3 Feb 09 but the name of the wife of Patrick was Ellen  ???

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bur/

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes this is my ''Burke'' line- do you have further info, particualrly on Michael Burke and Annie Leary?

All help will be very much appreciated :)

Thank you in due course.

Not sure if this is the correct Burke family in 1911 Irish census but there's a Patrick age 6 and Anne age 7 along with other children- Ballytracey is about 10 miles northeast of Enniscorthy town:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/The_Harrow/Ballytracey/678274