Author Topic: Does anyone have access to Ancestry South Africa please?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have access to Ancestry South Africa please?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 March 09 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a membership - Happy to search a few records - the records on this site are transcriptions of original documents and may have errors. They also have some family trees of prominent South African families.
You can also look on the NAAIRS site for the archive where the records may be found, unfortunatelly they don't index the births and marriages but the death records are indexed. .

The site also has transcribed several bboks - like "British residents at the Cape" and so on.
There is also a mailing list on Rootsweb where someone is trancribing the birth, marriage and Death notices from the South African Advertiser that may be useful - you would need to know which year so you can browse the various transcriptions.
Cheers
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 March 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Remember that Ancestry24 is a pay site and that requests for lookups are not allowed and details are not to be posted. This is a directive from the administrator of the site. It is only about 9 pounds for 6 months so rather join up. I can look up and tell you if there is info on a particular person and then recommend you sign up. Records are being added on a regular basis.
Hope  this helps
Ruth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 March 09 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks For the advice - I will only tell people if there is information - as you say it is a very resonably priced site
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual