Author Topic: McCALL of Crawford & Leadhills  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Gibson1900

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCALL of Crawford & Leadhills
« on: Thursday 26 February 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for more information on my gggg grandmother, Mary McCall. I believe that she was born in Crawford & Leadhills on 15 April 1782 to Robert McCall and Isabel McKonnen (or Isabella McConner).

What I definitely know is that Mary McCall married James Gibson (1773?-1832) and they seem to have lived in Glencairn in Dumfriesshire, where they had three children – Alexander (1805?-1878), Isabel (1807-after 1861) and Robert (1819?-1848).

Mary is at Heather House (Holywood) in the 1841 census, Gribton Lodge (Holywood) in the 1851 census and Gribton Gate (Holywood) in the 1861 census. Holywood is in Dumfriesshire.

Mary McCall died at the age of 82 at Gribton Lodge on 17 January 1863 and is buried in Holywood Churchyard.

I wonder if anyone has any information on the wider family of Mary McCall in Lanarkshire, especially her parents or any sibs?

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McCALL OF CRAWFORD & LEADHILLS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 February 09 13:11 GMT (UK) »
You could try the Sanquhar  - Wanlockhead area - there seems to have been a lot of interaction between there and Leadhills, probably due to the leadmining.   I have a very remote (not proven) ancestress McCall (b.approx.1730) and probably in Sanquhar.   Some of her possible family later moved to Leadhills approx. 1770.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline Gibson1900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCALL of Crawford & Leadhills
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 March 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - Wanlockhead does come up in a few of our searches, particularly as the place of death of Mary McCall's youngest son, Robert Gibson, in 1848. He was reportedly a tailor in Wanlockhead.

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 09 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
       Was doing search for McCalls in Wanlockhead, when I spotted your request:
1841 Census: Heather House: Holywood: Dumfriesshire:( Ancestry)
Alexander Gibson abt 1828.
Robert Gibson, Taylor, abt 1818.
Mary Gibson, abt 1791.
Isabella Gibson, abt 1816.

Mary and three of her children and Robert was a Tailor.

At the top of the Census search page was a public tree, Thomas Family Tree, with the following information.

Alexander Gibson & Mary ?:
Children:
Alexander, 1827.
Robert, 1818.
Isabella, 1816.

Alexander 1827, married Mary Ann Dunn 1831 of Kilmaurs, Ayrshire:
Children:
Alexander, 1857.
Mary D., 1863.
Andrew, 1865.
George, 1868.
Robert, 1871.
Isabella, 1876.

Censuses for family available on this tree: On Ancestry:
1851, Dreghorn, Ayrshire.
1871, 1881, 1891, Dalmellington, Ayrshire.
1901, Govan, Lanarkshire.

Hope information is of use.

Cheers,
                                              Dunmac.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline Lorand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 April 09 08:07 BST (UK) »
I am searching for McCall and Ness families living near Glasgow around 1890.  James McCall was a head gardener married to Christina Ness, whose family were coach hirers.  They eventually settled in Fife.  I would appreciate any infor if anyone has same family tree.

Thanks
Lorraine
McCall, Arnott, Ness, Galloway, Balfour, Botes