Author Topic: A List of My Cambridgeshire Names  (Read 27408 times)

Offline fisherman451

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A List of My Cambridgeshire Names
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith
I think half of my husbands family came from Swaffham Bulbeck!  I'm probably going to have to get the Parish Records on cd from the Cambridgeshire FHS, it's going to be very helpful.

Mt first Livett in the village is John, bn 1797 d1879, he married Elizabeth Skeel and they had 9 children, I've traced some marriages etc for his children but he's my starting point.  You can also send me a message or an email if you'd like to swap info, or just reply here.

Regards,
Brenda

Hi Brenda,Thanks for that info, it seems to confirm what I already had.  I am a John's GG Grandson. I think Johns father was James Levit bn Abt 1758 cant find a death for him yet, he I believe was married to an Elizabeth Fabb (1751-1824) so they were my GGG Grandparents. It looks like his father (my GGGG Grandfather) was another James Levit cant find any dates for him yet though and he was married to Frances Root(e) I think  they married in 1750 in SB.

I dont know if any of this is of use to you at all.
I have a copy of the Parish Records on CD if I can be of any help in your search.

Regards
Keith

Offline fisherman451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Redroger
My main Hancock line is an Elizabeth Hancock, bn in 1797 in Swaffham Bulbeck.  I have her parents listed as Benjamin Hancock and Hannh Adams, I don't know yet if they had any other children or if they were from SB or elsewhere, but I'm just about to order the PR for the village as I have a lot of people to track down in this area, and that may tell me a different story to what I believe!  I have a number of families from the area (SB, Bottisham, Horningsea, Lode and Stow cum Quy) who seem to move between these local villages every couple of generations, so I'm hoping the PR will help out.

Have you come across a Benjamin Hancock at all in your research?

Regards,
Brenda

Hello again Brenda,  I dont know if you have had any luck with siblings of Elizabeth, I have found a James bpt 15 Dec 1776, another James bpt 20 Aug 1780, William bpt 26 Jan 1783. Jno? (poss John) bpt 9 Jan 1785, Another William bpt 18 Mar 1787, Thomas bpt 29 Jun 1789, Charles bpt 13 Nov 1791, Martha bpt 12 Jan 1794, Robert (surname spelt Handcock, but correct parents) bpt 8 May 1796 and the Elizabeth you already have

These all come from the Parish Register for St Marys SB

Regards
Keith

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 May 09 10:17 BST (UK) »
I have an Avis Shipp in my Ayres/Cornwell tree, also some Hancocks; the principal village being Bottisham/Lode
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 May 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger,
There are several Avis Shipp's in the tree starting with,                                                                     

1, Avis Shipp b 1787 Bottisham Lode she was married to a William Warren.
 2, Avis Shipp b 1821 Bottisham died 1838.
 3, Avis Shipp b 1831 Bottisham she was married to a Job Benstead.
 4, Avis Shipp b1834 Bottisham Lode she was married to a William Cornwell, which is your line.
 5, Avis Shipp b 1853 Dapto NSW Australia she was married to a George King.
 6, Avis Shipp b 1876 Bottisham Lode

According to the tree Job Benstead who married Avis Shipp born in 1831 was a brother of Maria Benstead who was the mother of Avis Shipp b 1834.
Also Avis Shipp b 1831 her eldest sister Mary b 1817 was married to a Benjamin Hancock.
Regards
Lyne
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 May 09 14:51 BST (UK) »

Hi Brenda,
I forgot to ask you which Bowers line in Cambridgeshire are you connected with as my great grandmother was a Bowers by birth.

Regards
Lyne
James- Gloucestershire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 May 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
CharlotteCH, Where are your Burton's located? Mine are in Lincolnshire, Huntingdonshire and Cambridgeshire, definitely; I suspect links to those in Notts, but have not yet attempted to prove these.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hello All, sorry I haven't been around much lately.

Keith:  Thanks for the extra info on the Levitts and the Hancock siblings, I only knew about Elizabeth and her parents from a contact on Ancestry who left a note on my tree!  I may take you up in the offer of help from the cd as I've been so busy I haven't had chance to order mine from CFHS yet, I won't burden you though!

Lyne:  Although I have Hancocks, Peachys and Butlers on my husbands tree I don't have the names you mention.... but as RedRoger pointed out when I started this thread, they've all turned out to be related to each other through inter-marriage, so I'm sure it will be just a question of putting a few pieces together.

I only have one Bowers so far, but it's a direct relation.  I have a Sarah Bowers who married William Howard in Stow cum Quy on 18 June 1797, but I don't have any birth/death dates for either of them and just have their birth places listed as Cambridgeshire so far.

Brenda
Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Lancashire - Stirrup, Molyneux, Rudd, Golding
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
Berks - Cruttwell, Bunce, Batten
IOW - Roach, Robinson
Cornwall - Doney, Gumb, Goyne
S Wales - Thomas, Dickinson (via Cumbria)
Coastguard Families: Clark, Fuller, Grant

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 15:58 BST (UK) »
I thought it would be just a question of putting a few pieces together Brenda, that was nearly 12 years ago! I'm still putting them together.

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 16:11 BST (UK) »

Hi Brenda,

There are two lines of Bowers families in Cambridgeshire as of yet I havent found a link between the two.

Some of my line lived in Histon and Landbeach, the other Bowers line lived around Horseheath.

Regards
Lyne
James- Gloucestershire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Tulloch - Orkney Islands