Author Topic: HOLLAND: Looking for a Dutch subject  (Read 1065 times)

Offline modette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HOLLAND: Looking for a Dutch subject
« on: Monday 14 February 05 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I have found evidence of a Dutch subject in my family. Can anyone please tell me where I could get more information about this man. His name was Albertus Merles and he was born about 1866. I have found him on the 1901 census living in London with his wife and two children, but I would really like to find out where he was living before then.

If anyone can help.......Thank you
I am looking for info on the following names<br />Harvey             Brown<br />Jenkins             Head<br />Sheldrake        Williams<br />Moulding<br />all from the East End of London<br /><br />Also any information about a Dutch subject Albert Merles who appears on the 1901 census

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Dutch subject
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
www.genlias.nl shows the name van Merle (no s) also de Merler.  Do you hvae Albertus' marriage certificate?  He might be the Albert Phillip Merle m. Dec 1892 quarter Bethnal Green.

1901 shows two Merles b. Holland - Albert/Albertus and Francois Merle, who became a citizen:

HO 144/1391/269660
Nationality and Naturalisation: Merle, Francois, from the Netherlands. Resident in Winchmore Hill, Middlesex. Certificate 1,644 issued 18 February 1916.

Could Francois be related to Albert?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk