Author Topic: Home for Friendless Girls  (Read 7742 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Home for Friendless Girls
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 March 09 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane, Charlotte and Jap,

I must hold my hand up - I hadn't picked up on the fact that the URL I gave was for a home in Clevelnad Ohio.  Jap, I found the Google book on Poverty and Prosititution in York yesterday but was unable to read any of it online unfortunately.

The author of the book 'The Classic Slum' is I believe, Julie Lorenzen........ there is an analysis of it here:-

http://www.julielorenzen.net/slum.html.

It is all very grim isn't it?  I do hope life improved for your ancestor Jane  :-\

Maggie

Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 March 09 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie, The last thing you needed to do was to hold your hand up!  I'd hoped that I'd expressed it in a way such that you wouldn't feel any such need.  Sorry.

Hi All and especially Jane, The Google book is a bit grim as far as it goes - though mostly relating to much earlier years and to the Penitentiary.

It seems more than likely that when Annie was at the Home for Friendless Girls it wasn't such a bad place at all.  Just a group of about 20 young girls being cared for by Matron, Matron's Niece, and Sub-Matron - all the girls aged from 6 to 16, and all recorded as scholars.

JAP
PS: Jane, is Annie an ancestor (in which case I guess you'd know what happened to her) or just a relative ...

Offline jane k

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 March 09 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello JAP - I seem to be replying to you in 2 places at once!  Annie was younger sister to my Gt-grandmother but we didn`t know anything about that branch of the family.

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to help me out.

Jane

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 March 09 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jane,

Wouldn't it be great if we could find out what eventually happened to Annie!

I wonder if there are any records of the Home ...

Very best wishes,

JAP

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 March 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP - please, no need to be sorry, you expressed it perfectly.  My comment was against myself as yet again it was more haste less speed and I should have read the article to the end  :-\  :-\

Jap, I found the Google book on Poverty and Prosititution in York yesterday but was unable to read any of it online unfortunately.

Today, Google is letting me read this, whereas yesterday the pages were blank.  It is very grim isn't it?

Jane, it would be great to find out what happened to Annie.

Maggie

Offline Alan Roth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 July 15 23:57 BST (UK) »
My father was born in the Skeldergate Home for Friendless Girls in 1911. His mother was unmarried and the father wasnt named on his birth certificate. Incidentally it isnt mentioned on his birth certificate but as its a census year I found his mother in the "Home".
Therefore, I assume it was a home where pregnant girls were sent to avoid the "shame". My grandmother obviously hadnt learned her lesson as she was there 6 years previous when my uncle was born.

I had hoped I could maybe find some records but I cannot trace any. I have visited Skeldergate in York and there's nothing recognisable as the Home that was. 

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan,

I have just picked up on this rather old thread and must apologize for you not having had a response to your interesting post, particularly as you have visited where the Home used to be. As you can see from their profiles several of the contributors to the thread are no longer able to comment and others, like me, have not been around for a while, which accounts for the silence from us.

Perhaps you will be notified by email of my reply. I see you have not returned to RootsChat since your post, but I do hope you pop back in so we can properly welcome you to RootsChat.

Times were certainly grim for these girls weren't they?

Maggie  :)

Offline Alan Roth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 October 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
somehow got reminded of this
Not much activity since I posted

Never found much info about the "Home"