Author Topic: 'iNSTITUTION' at Tankerton, Whistable  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'iNSTITUTION' at Tankerton, Whistable
« on: Sunday 01 March 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

would anybody know what 'institution' was at Church Street ( I think) Tankerton in 1911? I have a male ancestor there aged 9 on the 1911 census but since his name is several pages in, it means using an additional credit to look at the first page....mean of me I know but this census is costing me a fortune.

Patrick Harrington was a catholic whose parents were apparently unable to look after him. I found his sister Mary in an industrial school in Croydon

Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline ama50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 'iNSTITUTION' at Tankerton, Whistable
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 09 19:18 GMT (UK) »
 Just seen your posting.  I wonder if your institution could be St. Vincent's Home for Catholic Boys.  This was for younger boys, who later transferred to learn a trade at Dartford.

Try the website    missing-ancestors.com     and look for references for Whitstable and Dartford.

Hope this helps.   ama50
Witherow, Co. Derry

Offline Jillie42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ama,

that does indeed help.
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline Teejo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 09 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillie42
I,m pretty sure you are talking about St. Vincents school for boys. Its on the corner of Northwood rd and Castle rd. Boys were sent there when their parents could,nt look after them and some of the boys ended up being shipped out to Canada. The catholic church is next door to it. It was run by the St. Vincent de Paul society and is still owned by them. The building is still there but you may have a problem with records, i tried before for a friend in Canada whose Father and Uncle were there but they dont have any records kept in Tankerton.
I do have photo,s of it if your interested.
Regards Teejo

Offline Jillie42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 09 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillie42

I do have photo,s of it if your interested.
Regards Teejo

Yes. please