Author Topic: Co-op in Chirk  (Read 6111 times)

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op in Chirk
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 March 09 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion.
Keith

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »

Added - I have an idea that Chirk Green houses were first started in the 1860s (old row) and new rows were added over the next 30-years or so.

Hi Keith

I've just checked in the Hurdsman book:

R H Longbottom....He continued to add to the back-to-back houses for miners in Chirk Green; the construction of these had begun with twenty in 1863, and reached a total of 72 by 1893

Neville Hurdsman  A History of the Parish of Chirk, Bridge Books, Wrexham, 1996 , page 197

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
You and I know Chirk Green houses where I was born and so were many of my contemporaries, were not actually back-to-back houses as Neville Hurdsman says in his book. The fifties row in Blackpark were back-to-back houses, as well I remember from delivering post as well as being a butchers boy there. It got very confusing.
Kind regards
Keith

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I know, Keith.

I was born at No 4 - next door to your Grandmother - and we weren't back to back. In fact, none of the rows were. The upper Rows were 'front to front' facing on to a road between each block with the outhouses behind. The Bottom Row was different, as you know, with no other houses facing.

I'm a bit concerned about the Hurdsman book because there are a few things that I've found that aren't correct and there's no index - which is annoying  :(

Sometimes, I think I might re-write my version of the history of Chirk . If I'd had the time and access to the Chirk Parish Chest and other sources and been able to speak all those people that he had, I think it would have been a different story - but we were insiders and 'knew' it in a different way.

:)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, how right you are about the lack of an index. I also find there are so many missing features in this book. I wish that he had paid more attention to more recent, at least post Victorian history of the village.
I'm fairly sure you must have enough information to put together an addendum
covering many features Neville missed.
I'll wait and see!!
Best wishes
Keith

Offline donna17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 July 11 03:08 BST (UK) »
That is a lovely photograph of a nice man, the load of coal brought back memories.
I'd like to know if the Co-op Offices, sited above the grocery department in the village, still exist, and if so, does someone know the whereabouts the photographs of the officials.
Keith
hiya keith, 2 of my gggreat grandfathers were also founders of the co op chirk, and i know she has a photo of all the founders as she ask me to copy some of them recently,she also knows quite alot about it will ask her and get back to you :)

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 July 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi donna,

I was interested to read your postings re Chirk and am pleased to hear that a photograph of all the founding members of Chirk Green Co-op still exists. I have a photo of my ggrandfather taken outside 5 Chirk Green, with the caption,
In Memory of John Wynne, Late Vice President of Chirk Green Cooperative Society. Dated 1905.
You are the second person to tell me of a family member who was part of the original founders of  the co-op in Chirk Green, and I'd like to know the names of this group.
As regards an earlier topic, 'Jummer's Hole'  still remains a mystery!!
Keith

Offline donna17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 July 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
hiya keith, i have the photograph in front of me, it has 18 members on it consisting of the committee, one of my gggreatfathers as president his name was william davies, its the cws jubilee 1913, they are holding a photograph/picture of your ggrandfather Mr John Wynne. they have recently had a good write up in the oswestry advertiser dated march 15th 2011 :)

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 July 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I have a copy of the photo you mentioned and can see your gggrandfather William Davies. He appears to be the sole member of the original committee if I take "pioneer" to mean that.
It is not a very good copy but I do have an excellent glossy photo taken on the same occasion showing the same group less the photo of John Wynne, but does include two young women,possibly counter assistants and a bottom row of young males, too many for all to have been behind the counter.

I am assuming that the 1913 Jubillee is to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the start of the co-op movement in Rochdale and not that of Chirk Green Co-op.
Keith