Author Topic: Marriage Laurens St Helier  (Read 1188 times)

Offline pamdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Laurens St Helier
« on: Monday 02 March 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the the marriage of Edwin G Laurens to Georgina which took place around 1894.

They are shown in the 1901 census, both born in St Helier, with 3 children, the eldest, Edwin Herbert born about 1895, Ernest Raymond born about 1900 and Ruby Janet born about 1899.

Edwin's father was John Laurens.

I would also like the birth details for Edwin's and Georgina's 3rd child Ernest Raymond born about 1900.

If anyone can assist, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Pam

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Laurens St Helier
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam

This was one of those investigations that didn't look as though I was going to solve but I then had a stroke of luck.

I first looked for a marriage of Edwin and Georgina in St Helier but couldn't find one. I looked twice with no luck. I then thought perhaps they got married in another Parish but again drew a blank.

So I started looking for the children's births but again found nothing. I rechecked the 1901 Census and sure enough, there they all were so I was getting confused.

I decided I would look through all the surnames starting with L for a Ruby Janet and that's when I struck gold. All the children's births are under the surname Lawrence, as is their marriage!!

So the marriage of Edwin Lawrence can be found in the St Helier Marriages, September 1891 to September 1895 on page 20. There is a Georgina Matilda Robinson on the same page.

The births of the children are:

Edwin Hubert Lawrence, 12th May 1894 to 29th October 1895, volume 44, page 55.

Ernest Raymond Lawrence, 22nd February 1900 to 26th October 1901, volume 48 on page 23.

Ruby Janet Lawrence, 12th September 1898 to 20th February 1900, volume 47, page 19.

I presume you know how to order Jersey certificates.

Glad I got there in the end. Obviously the name Lawrence and Laurens sound the same, especially when you remember that the island was French speaking at the time - but strange that it wasn't just one mistake, but four - unless they changed their name!

Stewart

Offline pamdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Laurens St Helier
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your info. As regards the Laurens/Lawrence bit. Edwin was a Laurens, as was his father, but like all things they get changed somewhere along the line.

It's been a great help. Thanks

Pam