Author Topic: Additional info  (Read 3578 times)

Offline AlanET

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Additional info
« on: Tuesday 03 March 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am a newbie, I have just found this site. I have been tracing my family tree for a while now using Ancestry and the Familysearch web sites, and have got bakck to 18th century purely using the internet. But I now would like to add some more detailed info onto the tree, other than the std census details. Most of my family have lived in the same village for centuries and were mainly farm labourers acording to records I have seen. So I would be interested in getting more local history where possibly names and locations can be seen in books maps etc. My village is Hartshill in warwickshire. Any ideas on what more experienced geneologistics collect would nice to know.

any help / tips would be most welcome. Alan

Offline genuisscuffy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Additional info
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've made scrapbooks as my children wernt interested in reams of information and added postcards as pictures for them to look at - you can find quite old ones easily on ebay for £1-2  and if you are after a certain village what about googling the village and seeing what comes up - maybe a local history society that could help or even someone local you could contact? Hope that helps  :)
Fielder (Portsmouth,Hants/Pembroke Dock, Wales)
Montague (Southsea, Hants)
Force (Portchester, Hants)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
If you have the census details what other details do you have, do you have the relevant, birth, marriage, death, certificates?
This gives occupations of fathers on birth and marriage certs, you could research those, if you wanted to research the village, try the local library for books, or biographies. Do you have electoral roll details, what about statistics for the area, population etc., or local record offices for old maps?
There was a thread recently about a book of various  occupations (biographical)  - I thought about getting it, will have a look to see if I bookmarked it.
Then there are the Parish Records do you have Baptism, Burial details from Church Records, , memorial inscriptions from Gravestones, - a grave yard hunt can be a good source of information. The LDS (Mormon) church have family history centres where you can order in films of church records for a small sum about £2 per film, - you can get lots of extra information there sometimes.   At the record office you can look for Poor Law Records, were your ancestors ever recorded there? Court Records....
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say - Welcome to Rootschat!
newbie  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlanET

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 March 09 08:10 GMT (UK) »
The answer to most of your questions is No, No No and No! It looks like I need to get myself down the library, thanks for all the tips.
Alan

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the tithe maps and apportionments?

This maps and appr show agr labourer details, they show which land in the parish your ancestors where farming and the maps have plots of land all numbered and then in the ppor it shows the number relting to each peice of land and then states who owned the land, who was farming it, how big the parcel of land was and how much tax was paid.

Tithe maps index is on warwick record office site.
windows on warwickshire is a photograph website showing old prints photographs of warwickshire parishes, take a look on that.

have you searched the surname of the family you are searching on a2a in the warwickshire record offices and archives surrounding? Sometimes things pop up!

Offline AlanET

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 March 09 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Eh! thanks Lemontree this all sounds very exciting! I'll try these new leads, thanks for the insight.
Alan

Offline cashel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
You said you were a newbie last year so don't know how far you've progressed. Some of my ancestors were from Hartshill and I managed to trace them between 1587 and 1851. The parish record (Mancetter) films are in Nuneaton Library and the originals are in the Warwickshire Archives in Warwick. I also found school records and poor law records at the archives.

There were also an excellent couple of books by a Hartshill historian (I'm afraid I can't remember her name offhand but the books are in Nuneaton Library) and I found references to my own family in there. Unfortunately she died a few years ago.

Good luck.

Charlie