Author Topic: Canadian Search Advice needed  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Canadian Search Advice needed
« on: Tuesday 03 March 09 16:12 GMT (UK) »
My GG Grandmother was born in Canada c1840/45 and I have very limited information.

She was Mary Jane Gates and, according to the 1911 Census was born in Horton, North America Resident.

She married Thomas Hill in Halifax, Nova Scotia on 13/01/1868, and came to the UK with him sometime after that.

Her parents were William and Sarah according to the marriage register (which I have a copy of).

How would I go about tracing any further information about Mary or her family?

All advice most welcome

cheers

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Search Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dinie,

Do you know if Mary Jane had any siblings?

There is on the 1881 Canadian Census a Sarah Gates age 75, living with what looks like her daughter and son in law.  Handley & Levina Cogswell.

If you go to the Nova Scotia BDM there is a marriage in 1866 for Levina Gates and Handley, unfortunatly it dosn't give parents name  :(

https://www.novascotiagenealogy.com/ResultsPage.aspx

The 1851/1852 Canadian census is available for free at

www.automatedgenealogy.com

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I know nothing else about Mary other than what I have already posted. I know Thomas was in the Army and, according to the marriage register he came from "Ireland" - How useful is that ???

I'll check out the information you have given me and, fingers crossed, they will be mine  ::)  ::)

cheers

dinie
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 09 01:01 GMT (UK) »
To throw another wrench into it all, the name may also originate from German settlers as Gaetz  :-\
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 09 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Morning Dinie,

I am unclear as to where Horton is. Is it in Nova Scotia? I am assuming Thomas was with the British  (and not Irish) miltary and was transfered back to UK as you say at some point. DI she go with him?, I am assuming she did. The Canadian censuses (1851 to 1911) are available (for free) at our National Archives along with much other info. The link is: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-bac/search-recherche/anc.php?Language=eng. I beleive that there are passenger list available for the UK arrivals, but unfortuately I don't know where. Perhaps another rootschatter here knows?
I hope this helps.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I am unclear as to where Horton is. Is it in Nova Scotia? I am assuming Thomas was with the British  (and not Irish) miltary and was transfered back to UK as you say at some point.
Ireland was actually part of the U.K. and there was not an Irish Army until after Irish independence in 1920s.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 09 14:37 GMT (UK) »
From a google search Horton (Horton's Landing, Horton Township) are in King's County Nova Scotia.

Debbie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 09 15:52 GMT (UK) »
There is one William mentioned in Kings County Deeds Records
http://www.okcm.ca/deeds/Deed%20Records%20Kings-G.HTML#GAtes

A Mary Jane Gates is mentioned as well as a Thomas Hill - there is a cd of  records from Kings County whose marriage records sate from 1864 - 1908 available here...Whether or not your couple is the final match is the thing...as those could be Birth, marriage or death details...
http://www.okcm.ca/bmd/BMD-G.HTML#GATES

ugh..that's right, you already have the marriage... sorry I get engrossed with the search and was concentrating on names...Is her ethnic origin ever stated?

I see the birth of Emily Dec 23, 1879, Curragh Camp, Kildare, Ireland on IGI... and they aren't on this list of king's county census although there is a William & a Sarah...
http://www.okcm.ca/census/Census%20Kings%201871-1901-G.HTML#Gates
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Gosh I thought this one had disappeared  ;D

JDG
Unfortunately I know nothing about Canadian geography and have no idea where Horton maybe, this is what was stated on the 1911 UK census. Mary did travel with Thomas but I don't know if they returned directly to the UK.

JJ
Thank you for those links, i'll certainly check them out.

My biggest problem is this couple seem to disappear from their marriage to when my GGrandmother was born in the UK in 1874. They then disappear again, I am unable to find them on 1881 or 1891 census but I found Mary with her daughter in the UK 1901 and 1911 census'.

Thomas was in the British Army and I'm beginning to think they were posted to other places but am not having much luck tracing those records either  ::)

Thanks for your input everyone.