Author Topic: Thompson Morrow 1856 of County Down, and Eliza Ann Hamilton 1851 of Tyrone  (Read 9408 times)

Offline mimi1030

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • William Hunter Harrison 1853 - 1905
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am looking for information regarding my GG Grandparents, Thompson and Eliza Ann Morrow.  Thompson was born in County Down in 1856 and Eliza Ann Hamilton was born in 1851 in Tyrone.   I recently received there marriage certificate and Thompson's father was Thomas Morrow and Eliza Ann's was Samuel Hamilton.  I do not know if they had siblings or who there mother's were.  Thompson and Eliza moved to the UK not sure what year, but they were married at St James the Less in Ancoats Manchester, they had 2 children in Salford Pendleton named Samuel and Joseph Bruce, they went back to Ireland for a time and had 3 more children in Belfast,  Eliza Ann Morrow, Margaret and Ellen Jane, they returned to the UK where they lived their lives out in Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria which is also where I was born.

If anyone would be able to help me find a way to locate parents and where they were from and any siblings that might have existed, I do know from grandfather that some of our Morrow ancestors moved from Ireland to Pennsyvania, USA.  But again I am stuck at Thompson's father and unable to get any more informtion.

Any help would be great.
Thank you
Michelle Morrow
Harrison - Whitehaven, Cumberland, England
Morrow - County Down Ireland and Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England
Grimshaw/Fish - Fleetwood, Fylde, England
Procter - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson Morrow 1856 of County Down, and Eliza Ann Hamilton 1851 of Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I didn’t find the right Thomas or Eliza Ann, but do try
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/Morrow.htm
an example
James Thompson MORROW . Knockbreda regd. Castlereagh; husband of Elizabeth Livingston; father of Florence Amy b. 2 Oct 1870

I also looked at www.familysearch.com and found the 1881 census and the family, but I also looked at the other entries
Thompson Morrow
 Birth:  24 JUL 1879   Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Parents:
  Father:  David Morrow  Family
  Mother:  Jane Fisher
and
Thompson Morrow
 Birth:  < 1729>   Of Antrim Parish, , Antrim, Ireland
Marriages:
  Spouse:  Martha Morrow  Family
  Marriage:  16 APR 1754   Antrim Parish, , Antrim, Ireland   
 and wondered was this just coincidence or perhaps the first David is an uncle . You may be able to identify the submitter of some of this info to familysearch.

there is a family manuscript tree in volume 21 in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library, Belfast.  but this may not be your line , it probably is a co Down line. Do some more fishing before following that one up. Then I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and you should be prepared to pay a fee for copying, post and packing, and perhaps some staff time and overheads. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email: <irish.reference[at]linenhall.com>.replace the [AT] with the symbol please

Good luck onwards, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 10:30 GMT (UK) »
an entry on Ros davies reads Thomas MORROW     Killinchy / Kilmore area  died aged 72 ( c. 1860) ; husband of Ann (died aged 30) then Margaret (died Feb 1859 aged 60) ; father of Margaret (d. 1884 aged 45) & William (d. aged 18) & Margaret (d. young) Thomas (d. 1901 aged 70) & David (d. 1907 aged 86) ; buried Presbyterian graveyard
keep going
Jim
worldwide

Offline mimi1030

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim,

This is good information thank you so much, I am willing to try anything at this point.  I really need to take a trip back home to England and also pay a visit to Ireland too.  I live in California USA and have done for the past 16 years, so my research capabilities here are quite limited.  I did find that record regarding the other Thompson Morrow father David and was wondering myself if there was a connection, I have a relative in the UK whom I recently found that will be making a trip to Ireland again sometime this year or next, so I am hoping I can gather specifics to point her to the right place of birth, as County Down is a big county, and I also wondered if Thompson was born in County Down why did he returned to Belfast, Ireland and have 3 children there before returning to the UK, isn't Belfast in County Antrim??  I found a probate record also of a John Thompson Morrow who died in 1898 and left money to a Thomas Morrow of Newtownards, the name Thompson seems to be an unusual name that I wouldn't imagine you would come across too often so I am trying to investigate these other Thompson's whether it be first name or midde name.  Somehow there must be a connection.

Thank you for your reply
Thanks so much
Michelle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes Most of Belfast records are Co Antrim, but its muddled as the Lagan river now divides the city. 

There are quite a few challenges ahead, those Morrow that emigrated direct from Ireland to America amount to 430 between 1830 and 1912, more travelled from England etc and some will be irish as well. This website site is www.castlegarden.org/  The thought crowds in , did any have Thompson as a first name and bingo, one did Thompson Morrow Laborer 24 M 24 May 1880 Ireland City Of Chester

However with the children and the parents we should hopefully be able to get back to a place and church records in Ireland
I think the couple married from free BMD
Marriages quarter ending Jun 1878 MORROW  Thompson     Manchester  8d 327  presumably this is the couple
I looked for the children
Births Sep 1875   Morrow  Samuel James    Manchester  8d 297 this was the only Samuel found
Births Jun 1881   Morrow  Joseph Bruce    Salford  8d 16 seems right but why Bruce [It could be another surname

then back to Ireland using www.emeraldancestors.com a fee paying site

Eliza Ann Morrow,
birth 1871 Eliza Ann MORROW F    Armagh 
marriages
1895 edward    XXXXX marries  eliza ann  MORROW  Antrim       
1915 william henry XXXX   marries  eliza ann  MORROW  Fermanagh       
1922 robert james  XXXX marries eliza anne  MORROW  Fermanagh   
death 1903 Eliza Ann Morrow  Down     

Margaret all before 1875
Ellen Jane,  no E Jane found as such others all before 1875
so that was disappointing
now have run out of time
Jim
worldwide

Offline mimi1030

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
You have found the right Thompson, he married Eliza Ann Hamilton at St James the Less in Ancoats Manchester on April 21st 1878.   On their marriage certificate it is listed that he was a Mechanic and she was a Reeler, their fathers were Thomas Morrow listed as a Mason and Samuel Hamilton, listed as a farmer.  Thompson and Eliza had 6 children Samuel Hamilton Morrow (my Great Grandfather) , Joseph Bruce Morrow not sure where the Bruce originated from, Eliza Ann, Ellen Jane, Margaret M and Mary Charlotte.

Eliza Ann Morrow although born in Ireland married William Henry Thompson, very ironic being her father's first name was Thompson, she died in Barrow in 1948 she had 6 children, Samuel Hamilton Thompson, Lillie, David Edwin, Violet, Minnie and Margaret.  I have her 1911 Census and this is how I found that she was born in Belfast Ireland vs just Ireland like it says on the 1901 Census.

The emerald ancestors website, is it worth joining do they have a lot of Irish records?

Thanks again for the great info.
Michelle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 March 09 08:41 GMT (UK) »

looking for a farmer Samuel Hamilton at www.proni.gov.uk/ then Freeholders
Result 1  Hamilton  Samuel  Deamon  D/1928/F/1B   
Result 2  Hamilton  Samuel  Drumarra  D/654/A3/1B   
Result 3  Hamilton  Samuel  Drumarra  D/654/A3/1B   
Result 4  Hamilton  Samuel Lowry  Ballydorn  D/654/A3/1C   
Result 5  Hamilton  Samuel L  Ballydorn  D/654/A3/1J   
Result 6  Hamilton  Samuel L  Ballydorn  D/654/A3/1J   
Result 7  Hamilton  Samuel  Carr  D/654/A3/1N   
Result 8  Hamilton  Samuel  Carr  D/654/A3/1S   
Result 9  Hamilton  Samuel  Leck  D/834/1   
Result 10  Hamilton  Samuel  Leck  D/834/1   
Result 11  Hamilton  Samuel  Demone  T/808/14936 
notes Ballydorn is co Down, Carr is in Clogher parish in Co Tyrone, Deamon and Demone whereabouts not found, Drumarra is Co Down, Leck is in Co Cavan and Donegal

Hamilton in Co Tyrone in Griffiths valuation http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv  produces 1770 records but reducing that to Clogher parish finds no Hamilton’s.

among the wills at www.proni.gov.uk/ there are 19 to look through on line heres an example.
Title:     
Forename:  Samuel   
Surname:  Hamilton   
Alt Surname:     
    Date Of Death:  12/11/1896   
Date Of Grant:  16/01/1897   
Effects:  Effects £340 17s. 4d.   
Registry:  Londonderry   
Full Abstract:
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Samuel Hamilton late of Woodbrook County Tyrone Farmer who died 12 November 1896 were granted at Londonderry to Margaret Hamilton of Woodbrook the Widow 

Now time has run out
good luck onwards, Jim
worldwide

Offline margmc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I am the grandaughter Eliza Ann Morrow who married William Henry Thompson , my mother was also called Margaret .
Her brothers were Samuel and,David and sisters Lillie ,Minnie and Violet. They are all now deceased.All lived in Barrow in Furness.
Hope to here from you Margaret

Offline mimi1030

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret,

WOW!! I am speachless, I have been trying to find Eliza's descendents for quite some time.  I also found another relative who has been trying also.  Her name is also Margaret.  Her Grandfather was Joseph Bruce Morrow, Samuel and Eliza's brother.  Samuel Hamilton Morrow is my Great Grandfather, they were born in Salford, but I believe that Eliza and her sisters were born in Ireland before returning to Barrow where Thompson and Eliza are now buried.  Please email me at (*) this is my personal email.  I have been building my tree on ancestry.com and would love to have your email to invite you as there are so many missing pieces and seeing you here, I am so exicted.

I want to post this so you get it, I currently live in the USA so we are 8 hours behind you.  If you email me your email address I will invite you to our family tree, I have been trying to gather memories and pictures of our family and I have some but I am missing that of Samuel and Jospeh's sisters, Eliza being one of them. 

I hope to hear from you soon
Big smiles Michelle

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php