Author Topic: Kelly / Gallen / Galen/ Gelin  (Read 2498 times)

Offline ddk2001

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly / Gallen / Galen/ Gelin
« on: Wednesday 04 March 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
I am trying desperately to find information on my GGG Grandparents, who emigrated from Ireland in 1846.  I've got pretty good info on them after they reached the United States - but nothing prior.  I've found some information in County Sligo that may be a lead - and want to see if anyone has any insight on what I've found.

My GGG Grandparents were Roger and Bridget/Bridgit Kelly.  Bridget's maiden name shows as Gallen on her records in the United States.

Best I can tell is that Roger was born around 1826.  Bridget's birth date is less certain - her ages in the census records conflict.

I've located a ship's record showing a Roger and Brigid Kelly, arriving New York via Liverpool on the Ship Kalamazoo, on December 28, 1846.  These dates match the beginning of the records of a Roger and Bridget Kelly in Philadelphia right around this time.

I have searched, and searched, and searched - looking for a Kelly and Gallen in the same County, perhaps the same parish.  I finally came accross evidence of a birth record for a Roger Kelly, born 1826, in County Sligo.  I also found a Bridget Gelin (born 1836) in County Sligo, both this Bridget Gelin and Roger Kelly were baptized in Kilglass Parish.

Roger's parents are identified, on the birth record, as Denis Kelly and Mary Barrett

Bridget's parents are identified, on the birth record, as James Gelin and Mary Collery.

If this was them, it would have put Bridget at 10yrs old at emigration, and around 17 when she had her first child in the United States.  Did people lie about their age marital status when they emigrated?  Might not be her - but it's the closest I've come in 10 years of looking.

Anyway - it took years to get here - and if anyone has any information on Roger or Bridget, my family would be quite grateful.  Perhaps death records in County Sligo?  Marriage records in the 1840-1846 range?