Author Topic: St Heliers Jersey Marriage 1838  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Heliers Jersey Marriage 1838
« on: Wednesday 04 March 09 07:02 GMT (UK) »
I Would really appreciate some help with finding the marriage record of John Shorland born Yeovil Somerset to Juliana Connolly in St Heliers in 1838.

1838 was given as the year of their marriage by their son, however, this may of course not be accurate.  We do know that John & Juliana Shorland migrated to NSW in Feb 1841 & their son was born 2 months later, so the marriage obviously was 1839 or earlier. 

John Shorland was the son of Thomas Shorland (physician & surgeon) & Sarah Spiller & Juliana Connolly was the daughter of Peter Connolly (Lieutenant in Royal Navy) & Elizabeth Baker.  John Shorland was probably born in Yeovil & Juliana Connolly may have been born in Hampshire.

Many thanks from Perth WA

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Heliers Jersey Marriage 1838
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The marriage took place on 8th January 1838 in St Helier Church. No other information was given.

Stewart

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Stewart for your efforts in finding my ancestors John Shorland & Juliana Connolly's marriage in St Helier.  I am very grateful.

Jan from Perth WA

Offline Tzaneen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 11 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I was very interested to see your post re John Shorland. I wonder if you would let me know where you found the details of his mother's maiden name. I am researching Sarah Shorland born in Yeovil in 1802 and I think that John may have been her younger brother. I know that her mother was a Sarah and her father was a Dr. Thomas Shorland and according to her death record, her mother's maiden name was Pillars - christian name not given. This form, though, was completed by her son-in-law and he may have put the "s" in the wrong place! Sarah married a William Willmington in 1822 in Yeovil, Somerset and emigrated to Australia in 1840 together with her husband and numerous children. I hope you can help. Many thanks

Offline Perth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 January 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Bingo!!

I have quite a lot of information which I can share with you. 

Are you a descendent of William Willmington? 

Yes, John Shorland was definitely a younger brother of Sarah Shorland - both were children of Thomas Shorland and Sarah Spiller.

John Shorland came to the colony as a Bounty Immigrant on the ship "Marquis of Hastings" which arrived on 4th Feb 1841 - I think about 1 year after William & Sarah Willmington migrated.

John also lived in Broulee, NSW for a number of years (as did the Willmingtons).

I recently obtained a copy of a Will written by John & Sarah's aunt Elizabeth which is very interesting.

My email address is:  (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php