Author Topic: Family Crest Identification Help Please!  (Read 28635 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Family Crest Identification Help Please!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 April 09 12:53 BST (UK) »
The crest and motto can be linked to a number of people.  To link the sword to a particular person requires other evidence.

There may not be anyone who currently claims the CoA.  They may have become extinct due to their being no established heir.  Equally there may be someone who is entitled to them, who is unaware of their right.

Whether you are trying to build a family tree or establish the provenence of an article like a sword the basic rules are the same.  Start from the present day and work backwards establishing full proof at each stage.  If you dive into some point in the past then proof is very difficult if not impossible.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 April 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Did you lose track of this other post?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,365249.0.html

vv.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 11 17:23 BST (UK) »
Two posts on this thread have used the word 'sergeant', which I believe should be 'segreant': an epithet of the griffin, in heraldry equivalent to rampant and salient. [From an elderly Chambers Dictionary.]
Here are a couple of links which might help: Families in British India:
http://www.new.fibis.org/
and the British Library:
indiafamily.bl.uk/
A

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 April 11 21:31 BST (UK) »

Hi Ian

Last December, I was able to link Thaddeus Richard Ryan to the arms
of the Scarteen Ryans, which he inherited on his father's death in 1863.

See my reply #5 to your topic:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,365249.0.html

which I assume you have not seen, since it is the last post on that
topic.

vv.

Offline bigphilryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have been going through my recently deceased father's stuff and have found a mounted coat of arms for the Ryan family. My arm of the family has been in the UK (some have emigrated to NZ/Oz/Canada) for about 4/5 generations (originally in Chorley, Lancashire but now we are spread far and wide!).

My great-great-great (maybe more) grandfather (Captain Edward Michael Ryan) was in the 15th19th Hussars and won a medal at the battle of Villiers en Couche in 1794 (a regimental battle honour). He was awarded the Order of Maria Theresa and a gold medal (the latter went to NZ with some of the family there), the scroll for the Order is on loan to a military museum in the UK.

With so many Ryans in the world, who knows who is related where (I need to do some research) but thought this might be of interest. I will try to take and post a photo of the Coat of Arms.

Offline bigphilryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
It is not a photo but I found this with a quick search on the web, some chap called Tom Ryan in Wisconsin. It is a fair representation of the coat of arms which I have:

Gules, three gryphons' heads erased argent.
A gryphon segreant gules holding in the sinister claw a dagger proper.
Malo mori quam foedari

You will note the different claw holding the dagger and silver rather than gold as well as red colouring which is different to the other links posted on here.

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
The Ryan of Inch pedigree seems to have gone.  The most recent "individuals" as listed by Burke's Irish Family Records (1976):

G/CAPT RICHARD CECIL FRANCIS· RYAN, of Inch, Thurles, co Tipperary, RN, commn'd 1910, served in World War I, ret as Cmdr 1929, re-empd in World War II, ret as Capt 1945, b 2 Dec 1888, educ Stonyhurst, and HMS Britannia, m 18 Aug 1910, Kathleen Constance Mary (d 18 Nov 1971), 3rd dau of Stephen Grehan, of Clonmeen, Banteer, co Cork (see that family, 1958 Edn), and d II Sept 1964, leaving issue,

1.RICHARD STEPHEN, of whom we treat.

2.ARTHUR GEORGE, of Inch, Thurles, co Tipperary, late Master Holycross Beagles, b Z3 May 1919, educ Glenstal, and Trin Coli Dublin (BA, BAI 1943), m31 Aug 1957, .Elizabeth, eldest dau of Capt Alexander Addison, MBE, of Christchurch, NZ, and has issue,
1.Adrian Arthur, b 17 Feb 1959.
2.Roland Richard, b 12 March 1961.
3.Justin Peter, b 18 March 1965.
1 .Lynette Elizabeth, b 5 Jan 1963.
2.Melanie Juliet, b 16 May 1967.

G/CAPT RICHARD STEPHEN RYAN, CBE (1953), formerly of Thomastown Park, Offaly (s his cousin Major V. J. E. Ryan 1947, but sold 1951), RAF (ret 1956), served in World War II (despatches), Cmdr Order of the Sword (Sweden) (1954) (The Old Parsonage, Moreton-in-Marsh, Glos), b 15 Jan 1912, educ The Oratory, and Trin Coli Dublin (BA), m 26 May 1937,.Mary Wilford, only dau of late Edwin Taylor, CMG, of Bognor Regis, Sussex, and has issue,
1. Rosemary, b 30 March 1939, m 21 March 1970, .Livio Testa (Via dei Chiavari 21A, Rome 00186, Italy), eldest son of Michele Alfredo Testa, of Via dei Coronari 28, Rome, Italy.
2 • Shelagh Ann, b 22 Oct 1945, m 23 July 1972, • Joseph Pierre Gazano (SLAB, Quai de Commerce, 20212 Bonifacio, Corsica), son of late Pierre Vincent Louis Gazano, of 21 Rue de I'Hotel de Ville, 20212 Bonifacio, Corsica, and has issue,
     Pierre, b 9 May 1974.
3.Edwina, b 31 Oct 1950, m 9 Sept 1972, .Robert Andrew Dyson (19 Bramham Gardens, London SW5), 2nd son of Richard George Dyson, of Brickfields, Chobham, Surrey.

Arms. -Gu, three giffins' heads erased or. Crest-A griffin segreant az, holding in dexter claw a dagger. Motto-Malo mori quam foedari.
Seats. -Inch, Thurles, co Tipperary; Thomastown Park, Birr, Offaly; Castle ffogerty (or Fogarty), Thurles, co Tipperary.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline adamjuul

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 June 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
I'm researching some distant cousins in Ireland, one of whom married a William Villiers (or Villers) Ryan (1811-1865). So far my research shows that some descendants moved to New Zealand and others to Cheshire from Lancashire. I don't know where the name Villiers came from but I noticed that there was an Edward Michael Ryan who took part in a battle at Villers in the 1700s and that the eldest son down the generations was usually called Edward or Edward Michael. I'd like to compare my research with anybody who might be related to the original Edward Michael Ryan.

Adam