Author Topic: 1911 transcriptions  (Read 4060 times)

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 transcriptions
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:54 GMT (UK) »

I have received the same e-mail. Seems they just do not want to make corrections.

Monkton Farleigh Wilts transcribed as Monktory Farleigh, fairly basic and no big deal but their lack of interest is a bit discouraging.

Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 March 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I believe that we the family history community must make suitable representations to the authorities to try to ensure that the next available census, 2021, is transcribed by people who know what they are doing, and have an interest in it. Remember, as the 1931 census was destroyed in a fire, and the 1941 not taken it will be the last census that many of us, myself included will ever see.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 March 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
There is nothing to stop you or anyone else transcribing any released census if that makes you feel it would be done properly.

However family history societies have found that as soon as anyone mentions that people help to transcribe something the enthusiasm quickly evaporates.

If you still want to help FreeReg, FreeBMD and FreeCensus are looking for volunteers.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 March 09 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Same here   >:(

One of the transcriptions I sent a correction for, had the stepson's name as the stepdaughter
and the stepdaughter was missed off entirely yet was on the original.  How can that be correct?

Susan

I posted this yesterday after checking the transcription to see if it had been corrected, checked back today and a correction has been made, partly  :-\ - the stepson has now been transcribed as stepson but stepdaughter is still missing from transcription  :(

I haven't been notified a correction has been made!

Susan
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline dands

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 March 09 09:20 GMT (UK) »
It seems IMHO that here we're up against the problem of "commercial interests".  At the end of the day, this was seen as a way to tap into a very popular pastime, and make some serious money out of us.  I also believe there was great pressure to bang it out as quickly as possible to start the cash flow rolling.  (A bit like the computer software makers rushing a Beta version out & letting the punters pick holes in it.)  In this instance, presumably, any subsequent changes also cost money & reduce those all important profit margins.

Again IMHO, I believe it's only if their revenue stream falls drastically, as frustrated researchers give up on it, (and it's very expensive to use such a flawed product isn't it?), that they will get their fingers out & start really putting things right.

Think I'll save my money. As an earlier poster said, I  can wait.

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 March 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
It is very expensive. I keep trying to resist it but it keeps drawing me in.
I no longer download the original if I can help it as the credits just disappeared in a flash.
Maybe in time they will improve it but they must be making a fortune out of us so the more errors the better I suppose. My theory anyway.
It has been a valuable resource though.

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 March 09 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I wanted to submit some corrections but it seems you have to buy the transcription rather than the actual image. As I bought the image for all of them I'm unable to do it.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 March 09 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I fired in 6 requests to them about the Luffman family, all shown as Suffman, it's that capital L in copperplate that fooled them! Had the acknowledgements, but nothing further. How do I proceed, I seem to think that they just don't care, just one more census to publish in 2022 and then they can relax till 2052!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)