Author Topic: 1911 transcriptions  (Read 4061 times)

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 transcriptions
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 21:52 GMT (UK) »
It just seams laughable.
At least on ancestry they will put the variation next to how it has been transcribed. The emails I had from 1911  didn't even accept that they may have made an error.
Oh well. No matter what they throw at us we still keep going. ::)
This is the best one... someone being transcribed as a looney baker but to be fair I can't tell what it says either.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Transcribers should only write what they see not what they think or know it should be.

That is fine, but they are claiming that their transcriptions are intended as a "finding aid" (which is their excuse for not including all the information on the original.) 

At least on ancestry they will put the variation next to how it has been transcribed.

I agree that this is much more helpful.  The transcriptions are not in any way compromised by this method, and the result is a more comprehensive index which eliminates a lot of problems.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 March 09 00:37 GMT (UK) »
I like Ancestry's 'alternate name' system, which makes no value judgement about the alternates, but it only applies to names, so we just have to grin and bear the bizarre birthplaces, wrong ages and relationships, and the odd administrative framework they have adopted. At least FindMyPast will entertain the possibility of making amendments to other fields.

As to the question of transcribing what you see, not what you think it should be, it's up to the researcher to interpret and evaluate the source. We are in the business of research (at least I hope we are), not data retrieval, and if the original record is unclear, or even gibberish, that in itself is just another factor for the serious researcher  to consider.

There's a good example of this in the 1881 Census for England at RG11/930 fol 58 p35 where the Weston/Parkinson family entry is sheer nonsense - I thought it was a transcription error at first, but it clearly isn't.  You also have to remember that when you are looking for something in particular you recognise a name or a word that even the best transcriber will get wrong, but equally this can lead you to subconsciously 'correct' something as you read it. Mostly this is fine, but it is dangerously close to mis-reading, and can lead to correcting things that shouldn't be corrected - anyone with an unusual name that is very similar to a more common one will know exactly what I mean.

Mean_genie

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 March 09 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes I got a rejection of a whole page of mistranscriptions of my grandfather and his family which makes finding him impossible if you don't know the address (fortunately I did). 

It makes you think "Why bother ?" - maybe that's what they want ?  ::)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 March 09 11:42 GMT (UK) »
If it's any comfort to anyone I found the same thing when 1901 came online (ie before it was on Ancestry etc), probably in 2002. The village where my grandparents, aunt & uncle were living was mistranscribed, so I submitted the details. I checked a while later & re-submitted them - I've just done a basic search on my aunt's name (on 1901censusonline.com) & it's not been changed yet. ::)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:08 GMT (UK) »
So far I have only submitted two transcription errors, both for the same sheet (in the names of places of birth) and would admit that in one case the word was unreadable but it might as well be the equally possible response given to previous censuses as the nonsense one that they want to keep.

In the other case, the word is clear to me, and not because it was found before.  It was the name of a hamlet close to where the occupant was now living and the only ambiguous letter was the initial.  As the substituted letter would then not have made sense the transcriber had then changed all the other letters but one.  However, the same initial also occurred elsewhere on the page where it had been interpreted as required for my correction.

I am now tempted to make the same case to see if they will "correct" the street name in keeping with their interpretation of the occupant's place of birth.   Presumably they got that right because they have the street name on the enumerator's sheet too but it's exactly the same letter as the one they refuse to correct elsewhere.

While puzzling as to why they think they have such a high success rate, my daughter and I worked out a possible way that their error reports could be compatible with reported experiences.

If the 98% or more that they are quoting is key strokes, then they are actualling admitting to having at least one and perhaps two or more errors on every transcription.  This seems to fit with my own experience and that of others reported here.  I printed out over 30 pages at Kew last week but, in the interests of saving paper, did not print the transcriptions but, even on a quick check of them, noticed a considerable number of errors.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes I got a rejection of a whole page of mistranscriptions of my grandfather and his family which makes finding him impossible if you don't know the address (fortunately I did). 

It makes you think "Why bother ?" - maybe that's what they want ?  ::)

I'm coming to that conclusion also, Nick.

I have today received another 6 "no change required" notifications  -  making a total now of about 20 altogether.   I just hope anyone else looking for them knows as much as I do about them and will be able to find them anyway  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:27 GMT (UK) »
The 1901censusonline.com site has not uploaded any data amendments since August 2005, so don't hold your breath!

Ancestry don't accept amendments to place names, but if your entry is in one of the counties that is now on FindMyPast you might stand a fighting chance.

Mean_genie

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I've had more 'no change required' today, I don't know why I bothered >:(

I was going to take a subscription to FindMyPast when the 1911 Census becomes available on subs, but I won't now. I expect Ancestry will eventually have it, & I can wait. The ancestors aren't going anywhere ;D

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."