Author Topic: Help request William Charlton - Humshaugh  (Read 4693 times)

Offline rnc1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help request William Charlton - Humshaugh
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 March 09 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael.

Checked on one of my maps for the area but Scaleby is just off as I only have the Brampton/Haltwhistle OS. A work colleague is going to loan me the right one so I will be able to see exactly where it is. It is actually named Sward Hill as I have found Scaleby Hill?

I have been reading a few other posts which you have responed to concerning the Northumberland Fusiliers. My grandfather George Charlton, the grandson of William, enlisted in the 4th Btn on 19 Aug 1914 at Gosforth Park. He was 27 years of age at the time and when the structure of the Battalions changed he was in the 2/4 as CQMS which I believe was at York & Strensall as I have a copy of the book by Lt W J Bunbury about the 2nd battle of Ypres which was presented to him on Christmas day 1915 by Capt Robb who took part in the battle. I have tried to obtain the service record for my grandfather but apparently it is amongst those destroyed so I have had to piece together what I can from photos and other items.

Do you know whether there are any extracts or transcripts etc from the local paper for Gosforth for the period above regarding recruitment as you mentioned in another post about the ones for Blyth being researched.

My grandfather later transferred to the 2/7 which was posted to Egypt and he returned to York about June 1919 and was admitted to Fulford Military Hospital with temp. blindness.

Regards
Richard
Adams Fairford & Cirencester.
Tute from Whitby & Hull.
Kirkwood from Patrington.
Stephenson from Rillington.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 March 09 22:27 GMT (UK) »
 Richard,

If you google sword hill cumbria.... you might even see photos of it within the forest + maps.

I have done a fair bit of research but mainly on the Scottish ( 20th-23rd) and Irish ( 24th-27th) battalions.

Just before last Christmas I spent a week in Kew looking for records of 6 soldiers. Found NONE ( all destroyed by German bombing in WW2)

I concentrated on specific battalions "War Diaries" which was like an account of daily activities. Loads of actions- officers named but men not maned!

Your George must have been special to get CQMS- unless he had prior military service..  Whenever I get the chance I will look up his enlistment in Newcastle newspapers !.

Michael Dixon

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Janete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 April 12 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think we might be related.
I think William was the son of George Charlton from Walton, Cumberland.  One of Williams sisters was my great great great grandmother.
William was christened 26.12.1819 Walton.  He was living with his mum and dad in Scaleby at the 1841 census. Still living with them in Newbrough, Northumberland at 1851.  By 1861 he was married, haven't found where that happened yet. I had thought he was married in 1865 from freebmd, but it seems not.  Don't think it was Gretna Green (Scotland) where some of them married, brother Joseph had married Emma Turnbull there in 1839, presumably she was related to Ann?
There is a good website about the family -  charltonhistory.yolasite.com going back to with William's grandfather,
Edward
Regards, Janet

Offline rnc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 April 12 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,
Thanks for getting in touch. I have had a quick look at the Charlton History site and am quite impressed with the amount of information it contains. I had looked at George & Mary as parents for William and had found them on the 1851 Census but there was always that little bit of doubt there and I was leaving it until I could plan a visit to Carlisle Records office to see what other information I could find.
I too have struggled to find a marriage certificate for William and Ann and also the question of two of thir children being named Mary and Mary Ann on the 1861 Census.
Do you have a tree on Ancestry? I have an Ancestry tree & one on Genes.

I will get back to you later.
Kind regards
Richard
Adams Fairford & Cirencester.
Tute from Whitby & Hull.
Kirkwood from Patrington.
Stephenson from Rillington.