Author Topic: Burial Place of Susannah HOBBS  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Place of Susannah HOBBS
« on: Thursday 05 March 09 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Susannah Hobbs (nee Luff) arrived in Australia aboard the John Renwick with her husband William Hobbs.
Susannah died 09 Jan 1855 in South Australia - death place not recorded.  I cannot find where she is buried.  I was told she was buried at Myponga South Australia but cannot find any records to substantiate this.  The State Library could not help with the search.  Has anyone any suggestions?
Aileen  ???
Pritchard, Hobbs, Hicks, Verner, Scott, Davis

Offline redgum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sweet William
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Place of Susannah Hobbs
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 09 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aileen,

Sorry I can't help with the burial place as Hobbs is not listed as a surviving headstone at the online Myponga Bible Christian Cemetery
http://www.ozgenonline.com/aust_cemeteries/sa/yankalilla/mypongabcdata.htm

There are many small cemeteries scattered throughout the district but only a few headstones have survived. Often they were wooden.

I do have a book  "Early Settlers in the Yankalilla District" which lists many of the people living in the area during the first 50 years of settlement. William Hobbs is recorded as living  at Section 541/2 577 Myponga.
There are no others Hobbs names recorded.

I will keep an eye out for Susannah's grave as I live the district.

Robyn
SCOTLAND
Macdonald, Buchan, Stuart, McCook -Angus/ Aberdeenshire
McLeod, McKenzie- Sutherland

IRELAND
McIlhagga, Craig - Antrim

ENGLAND
Stone, Murch, Ireland, Austin, Perryman - Devon
Holder, Robinson -Warwickshire/Staffordshire

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Place of Susannah Hobbs
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Robyn for the reply.  I have been trying to find where she was buried for some time now.  I was once told someone had seen the headstone behind a Church in the Myponga area but I am not sure if this correct and it would have been a long time ago. 
I saw on the internet that the Myponga Methodist cemetery is now beneath the waters of the Myponga reservoir.  I wonder what happened to the records?
Thanks for the reply and thanks for keeping an eye out for the grave - I appreciate it.
I don't suppose there is any record of William Hobbs burial place - died 24 Mar 1892, Myponga, South Australia. His second wife Mary Ann died 23 Feb 1901, Myponga, South Australia.
Aileen
Pritchard, Hobbs, Hicks, Verner, Scott, Davis