Author Topic: Simms Motor Units Limited Oak Lane East Finchley  (Read 15102 times)

Offline Hollylianne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Simms Motor Units Limited Oak Lane East Finchley
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 January 22 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

My nan (Phyllis Brock nee Caton) worked at SIMMS Motor Units in the 1940's. She was part of the work band that played in the canteen. There were 2 singers, my nan and another girl. There was a chap on the drums and two men on brass instruments. At weekends, they would go to the local parks (bandstands) to play.

She worked at one time as a Coil Winder for the airplane engine part. She then worked as an examiner to inspect items were correct. That's how she met the band leader, as he worked in one of the rooms nearby. He heard nan sing (as she was singing away while working) and asked if she would join in.

ramsay - paisley, brock - glasgow, brackenridge - Scotland, thomson-Scotland, richardson- Scotland, mcclure- Scotland, raeside - Scotland, brown - Scotland, borland - Scotland, mckeller - Scotland, caton - essex, Cross - Navestock/Mount Nessing, moseley- london/staffordshire, mcneil, davies, harper, blake, fitzjohn, steer, kennington, venables - cheshunt, ward, cook, pavey

Offline catcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
My dad, Bert (Albert) Curtis, worked at Simms Motor Units, East Finchley as a Progress Chaser from about 1948 to 1968.
I remember the coach trips out that were organised to the bulb fields and other places in the summer. The Flower & Vegetable shows where he used to enter veg from his allotment and I think there were children's Christmas parties.
I remember the particular grease/oil smell on his brown overalls and being told to be careful as there were bits of metal in the pockets. Eventually I was even allowed to iron them!! We lived only a couple of hundred yards away from the factory.
I think my granddad, James Booth, also worked there as a night watchman but not sure of the dates.

Offline adansonia

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 July 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello.
I do not know if anyone can help me.. I have purchased a Simms Voltage Regulator and I am trying to work out how to wire it up as it has now numbers on and I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere.. It is a EG-1273.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Gemma