Author Topic: St. Thomas' church Skirbeck Quarter Boston  (Read 43113 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: St. Thomas' church Skirbeck Quarter Boston
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 March 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pam, The line closed in 1970, and remained derelict until after the railway bridge over the South Forty Foot was replaced in November of 1988. The road and the demolition of the signalbox, and the railway house, or bungalow really) etc. for the forming of the new road. Pity the line closed, they could do with it now, but the journey to Spalding is now 3 miles at least shorter than it was. I left Boston in 1965, and visited regularly until my mother died in 2003. By the way, do you know how many people from Wyberton West Road, Park Road area lived to be 100. I am sure of three. Mrs. Farmer, 88 WW  Rd. Mrs Adcock from the shop ?98 or 100WWRd. Mrs. Robinson from Park Road. Several attained their late 90s including my mother.Must be the water. Can't be the heat, too cold!!!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Only thing I can add is that St Thomas's was known as the Tin Tabernacle. That may or may not prove useful in your research. Good luck.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 March 09 16:47 GMT (UK) »
That sounds useful thanks, when was it so known? I lived in the immediate area from 1940-1965, and never heard it so called.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 13 March 09 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Abt the time it was built I think? My grt gran was buried there.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 March 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Can you put an approximate date on it please?

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 March 09 19:52 GMT (UK) »
well, heres a bit I googled -

It started in a classroom of the original school building in 1866 and in 1885 progressed to a tin tabernacle. The need for a permanent brick building was recognised and in 1909 building commenced, being completed in 1912.
http://www.parish-of-boston.org.uk/st-thomas.htm

It appears that it may not be as useful as Id hoped, on further googling it seems any churchy building could have been dubbed a "Tin Tabernacle" if it was made of metal. Sorry if its been a false lead.

My Great Gran was buried there early in 1909 so Im not sure if it was in the Tin Tabernacle or the brick church!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 March 09 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks indeed, I never knew that it had started in St. Thomas's school. I thought the school was an offshoot of the church. As an aside I attended that school from April 1945 until July 1950. Headmaster Arthur Clift, 3 teachers on staff including him, Mrs. Cave and Miss Johnson. They each had about 80 pupils, in Mrs. Cave's case two classes of around 40 in the large double classroom at the girls side of the school.

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 14 March 09 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Was going to ask if you went to Thomas', RR.  :)
Can't believe Mr Clift was still there in 1950, as he was there when my mum was there.  :o
He must have left shortly afterwards though because Mr Greenfield was headmaster when I started at Thomas   20  ;)  ;D years later.  And I also thought Mr Smith had been there forever when I started, but probably not by what you say. I knew Mrs Cave had.
I had Mrs Allitt, Mrs Cave, Mrs Fretwell, Mr Smith, and then Mrs Palmer for two years when I attended. To the best of my remembrance, they had that number of teachers all through my school time, so it seems the staff must have doubled in a very short space of time.
And when I was a tiny, the school-church-school had sort-of gone full circle because the under-8's Sunday School was held at the school. I remember that well because after weeks of nagging my mum to let me go to Sunday School no sooner did I get into the playground than I took to my heels and ran down the street as fast as my little legs could go, never stopping till I got to Butler's corner.  ;D ;D Well I was only 4! And I couldn't go any further than the corner because the path ended, and even at that young age I knew I mustn't go off the path. Fortunately I had a very nice mummy who took me again the next week - when I quite happily stayed.
Used to love Sunday School, and I still have my first (and second and third!) Sunday School prize(s). That was in the days of the 'Rev Bev', when the dads were allowed to go to the pub on Sundays 51 weeks of the year, but if they weren't in church at 2.30 on Mothering Sunday they were in deep doo-doo. Standing room only.

And as a p.s. - I think I might know where the booklet about the church history might be. In a box of my mum's stuff which I can't reach at the moment, but it gives me something to aim for.  :)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 15 March 09 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Clift was retained over retirement age as a result of the war. The last year I was at St. Thomas school (1949-1950) there was an additional teacher, W.E. (Ted) Cox, who apparently had taught there before the war, must have been his first job!, and came back to the school when he was demobbed in 1949. There was another teacher in the infants side before I left,but I don't think I ever knew her name I was one of the first group from the school to pass the 11+ (when I was just 10!) and so went to the Grammar School, which as with St. Thomas I didn't like. I never liked doing what I was told! I have a photo of West Skirbeck Bowls Club taken about 1938, with amongst others, my Dad included, Arthur Clift "Nosor" sits in the centre of the front row, in a white (or light) suit, looking like Marlon Brando in the Godfather. Would you like me to try emailing it? Personal message please.