Author Topic: Anyone use findmypast.com ? Search tip  (Read 2350 times)

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone use findmypast.com ? Search tip
« on: Thursday 05 March 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I have had some success using the address search feature of the  censuses by typing variously caravan/tent/van/cart in the street section.

Results that then come up are mostly travellers and the like. Occassionally of course you get a 'tent street' and a load of people you dont want but it's worth a try.  Found 2 of mine this morning like that.

I'm possibly repeating something that's already been said  so apologise if I am.
Midlands:Bayliss, Clemo, Eburn, Evans, Finney, Mayo, Morris, Rhead, Shutt, Upton, Waterhouse, Woodward, Wright, Woolley, Wyatt, 
Devon: Gillard, Jenkins, Manfield, Morrish, Palk, Salter, Shire, Scorse, Summers, Wood,
Dorset:  Fudge, Roberts,Trowbridge,
Montgomeryshire: Evans
Norfolk: Bond, Everard, Riches,
Somerset:Clothier, Hockey, Jenkins, Shire
Ireland:Mihill, Woodward, Zumach
Scotland:Lewis
Travellers:Cooper, Davies, Hughes, Manley, Orchard, Penfold, Roberts, Small, Wells/Wills

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone use findmypast.com ? Search tip
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 09 00:37 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks for that, Devonblue. I've used FindMyPast /1837 for years now. Only, I've only ever used the straight forward GRO listings. I hunt for Names.

Would ye believe I've never even given their Census  stuff a thought?  ::)

Now though, following the tips I've picked up, on here, about how those not in houses were relegated to the back pages, and now this? I think I might well have many of my 'lost' rellies pinned down before bed time!  ;D
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone use findmypast.com ? Search tip
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I've used the address search, but only by putting in the names of streets, will try again with ship, barge, etc. and see if that gives clues to my g.grandfather.  Some hopes, but anything's worth a try. ::)