Author Topic: St George, Doncaster Burials: Stephenson  (Read 17182 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: St George, Doncaster Burials: Stephenson
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 July 09 18:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, await outcome with interest.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 11:25 BST (UK) »
Roger,

Having still not heard anything back from WYAS I spoke to Peter Robinson the keeper of archaeology in Doncaster.  He has told me that all burials that were exposed during the works were lifted and interred.  The only ones that were left in situ were those identified through grave cuts and that were below the level of the works that were being carried out and thus not at risk. 

It shoudl be noted that this is from his own recollection as no report as appeared on his desk and he is unsure as to whether a full report as yet been published

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rob, To my knowledge no report had been published up to the time I left Doncaster in 2007, and I have heard nothing further since. I am still a member of Doncaster Archaeological Society, and a regular attender at SYAD each November, so it is strange I have missed it if a report has been published.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
Roger,

I can tell you that there is an interim report held by the county at Sheffield Council offices as I have read it but you are right there is no full excavation report as yet.  I also attend SYAD in November and have done now for a number of years.  My mum used to be a member of the local society but its not been something I have been willing to do

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rob, I will try and make myself known to you at SYAD this November. Hope the report is available by then.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
We can only hope
rob

Offline einstein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Ken, I have a mix of bad and good news for you and I will start with the bad. I have been unable (as yet) to find any further obits' for Henry or Mary Ann in either of the local newspapers (Gazette or Chronicle) of the time.
You mentioned the death cert' for Henry and that it may mention the names of Henry's parents; this is not the case with English death cert's, the only names that are entered are those of the deceased and the name of ther person registering the death.
I visited Cantley Church yesterday but could not find a headstone associated with your William and Alice. I did find the headstone for Henry and I have sent you an image.
As regards your William, (coach builder) of Doncaster, I found the following whilst searching through the "Doncaster, Nottingham, and Lincoln Gazette" for Fri 4th Feb 1820.  Death's.
'On Friday last, after a long illness, aged 30, Mr Robert Stevenson, of this place, coach maker. He has left a widow and seven children to lament their loss'. I also found, (and this is quite interesting) an entry in the same newspaper dated friday Feb 18th 1920, elating to sale of goods. See attached image.
Malcolm.
Ball (Mapperley), Hardy (Ruddington) , Martin (Heanor), Aram (Ilkeston), Fletcher (Codnor), Dowman, (Milford)

Grant (Oldham, Sheffield, Doncaster)
Molloy (Nottingham, Manchester?)

Offline einstein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
I visited Cantley Church yesterday but could not find a headstone associated with your William and Alice. I did find the headstone for Henry and I have sent you an image.
Malcolm.

PS I don't know why but have had problems replying to your last message.
You will note that I have had to reply through another route. Why can't I reply via your original message? Any ideas
Ball (Mapperley), Hardy (Ruddington) , Martin (Heanor), Aram (Ilkeston), Fletcher (Codnor), Dowman, (Milford)

Grant (Oldham, Sheffield, Doncaster)
Molloy (Nottingham, Manchester?)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
 einstein .. you have found something very interesting there .. both the death notice for Robert and the sale notice. To the best that I have put it together (while living in Canada .. doing long distant research) Roberts father wound be a William Stephenson who married Susanna Laurence in 1779 .. he likely started the coach making .. William died in 1806 .. likely buried St Georges .. and he left a will (which I have a copy of). Now to the best of my thinking this William had 3 sons .. Robert / William / John.
 In Williams will from 1806 .. he left all power of executors to  .. quote .. " my good friends William Morley of Doncaster aforsaid Timbermerchant and John Scott of the same place painter" And the sale notice from 1820 also mentions the W Morley.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.