Author Topic: What happened to Ellen HURRION?  (Read 4288 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Ellen HURRION?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 September 09 01:15 BST (UK) »
Linking previous post again that has been linked by Sue...more background information including childrens' given names.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,362930.msg2391736.html#msg2391736

Only marriage I can see in 1885

3386/1885     
MERCER  Henry   
NIHILL  Johannah
District Waterloo

I don't see a divorce for Henry and Ellen on the NSW index prior to the 1885 marriage.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 September 09 01:45 BST (UK) »
HI, thanks for linking the previous post. Yes this is Henry's second marriage. He was down as a bachelor. I have this marriage cert, but there is nothing to help me with finding Ellen. It would have been easier if he was down as a widow then at least I would have known she had died. It is possible that her demise may have gone unrecorded. May be she left and went off to some far away country to become a missionary or something. I have also tried the UK Deaths to see if I can spot a suitable death that could be her in case she returned to the UK but with no success. It is also possible that the surname has been recorded with an incorrect spelling and we may never find her.

Thanks
Sue

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 September 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
Sue what were Ellen's parents' given names please.  May help identify her in the death indexes ie if she died in NSW.

Cando

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Ellen HURRION? - she has been found - completed
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 08:26 GMT (UK) »
After a few years of wondering what happened to Ellen we have found out - finally - so don't give up on your searches.
Recently I found the Rookwood Cemetery Sydney records on line and searchable and there I found some of the members of this family including a death for Ellen Mercer. So I went back to the NSW BMD but no death registration for her. So I searched through 160 odd deaths for Ellens in 1883 and found one with a surname MEXER. No other records under this name, so guessing it was a mistake ordered the death certificate from this record and it is her. Mother's christian name is incorrect but these mistakes with info from informants I have found quite common.

Thanks for everyones help on this. I can put this search to rest.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Good news SueChris.  Unfortunately there is no headstone for Ellen at Rookwood.  Too late for you now but NSW bdm's will accept wildcard searches eg M*    Ellen.  Would have saved you a lot of trawling :)  Info may come in handy one day.

Cheers
Cando