Author Topic: marriage licence phrases, need help with understanding  (Read 7624 times)

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: marriage licence phrases, need help with understanding
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 March 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »

Precontract would appear to be the right word too.

Link to examples of marriage licences:
http://www.sog.org.uk/vg/vgsample.htm

:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 March 09 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Koromo

Exactly,  ;D it looks like precontract? consanguinity affinity......

I'm going to have to look that up in the dictionary.

Kerry

Without wishing to appear flippant - I couldn't help being reminded of Blackadder and the dictionary episode   ::)  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 March 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »

Precontract would appear to be the right word too.

Link to examples of marriage licences:
http://www.sog.org.uk/vg/vgsample.htm

:)
Hi Koromo

Brilliant link, thanks and I went and looked into the dictionary and yes it is precontract, exactly as the first example on the link.

Kerry  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 March 09 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Koromo

Kerry

Without wishing to appear flippant - I couldn't help being reminded of Blackadder and the dictionary episode   ::)  ;D
Oh yes, I remember that one. 

My OH was a bit flippant when I told him I wanted the dictionary to look up consanguinity.  ;D ::)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 March 09 22:15 GMT (UK) »
The key reason for getting a copy of a licence is that sometimes it is for the marriage of people some distance apart and the licence may give a location for one of the parties not stated elsewhere

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Raphael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 March 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Koromo

Kerry
Hi Kerry,

"If anyone here knows of any consanquinity or spritual relationship while these two people should not be joined in HOLY MATRIMONY , let them speak now, or forever hold their peace"..

I am a little older than most on here, but as a child I remember my mother trying to explain this to me at her sisters (my Aunties) wedding) in the 1930's . In other words marrying someone very close in the family OR who had been betrothed "promised" and broke their former contract with former person, and then married a different person at that moment in church or Registery Office...There was no such paper needed, only the verbal
announcement of the engagement in the presence of others at a time before the wedding..

Best Wishes
To all
Raphael UK & Germany
Delaunay, Hackney,McIntosh, Culloden, Manchester -Lancashire, Salford, Blackley, Crumpsall, Cheetham Hill M/cr.  Grappenhall-Warrington.   Gonter-Hackney Düsseldorf & Derendorf , NRWF Germany.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 March 09 07:42 BST (UK) »
I have two people in a very old part of my tree whose marriage was dissolved on the grounds of consanguinuity - they were only 3rd cousins!!!

http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/DBY/Eyam/Stafford/WinsterChurch.html
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 29 March 09 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi stonechat (lovely bird),

Could it perhaps be that property matters were what were really important to those involved and that so-called consanguinity (good grief, 3rd cousins!!!  Pull the other leg!) was nothing but an excuse.

I have far too many marriages of 1st cousins (my children's paternal side I hasten to add) to think that the church (wherever - England or Scotland as mine were) could possibly have baulked at a 3rd cousin marriage!

The royal families, including the Brits, would have been long gone - no comment!

JAP
PS: Hi Raphael, Stop boasting!  We might all end up having to admit how ancient we are.  ;D

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:10 BST (UK) »
Mine was pure and simply that Peter was marrying for the third time, I had assumed that both other wives had died but have not found deaths yet, in fact not sure who the first wife was!

Kerry