Author Topic: marriage licence phrases, need help with understanding  (Read 7625 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage licence phrases, need help with understanding
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 March 09 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm I'm quite proud of what I have been able to get so far but that would be something to treasure.  :)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 March 09 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I believe a SURROGATE was, and still is, a member of the clergy who was appointed to receive applications for the marriage license, and therefor acted on behave of one party who could not appear in person before the Bishop (or at the parish) when the license was granted.
Sally
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 March 09 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sally

Thank you for that.  I presume as the licence was signed by Peter Averillo the surrogate was acting on behalf of Elizabeth who was not present.   :)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 March 09 17:05 GMT (UK) »
The surrogate is a person acting for the bishop in granting the licence, and (I think) would be a clergyman.

Licences were applied for by the groom - the bride's input not being considered necessary.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 March 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Licences can also be applied for by others- the grooms father or brother. I have known of a priest making the application too

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 March 09 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Licences can also be applied for by others- the grooms father or brother. I have known of a priest making the application too

Bob

Yes, sorry - you are right Bob - it didn't have to be the groom (was going by the allegations and bonds which I have).
I have just checked with Herber, who states that 'one of the couple (usually the groom) had to apply for the licence...by submitting an allegation...that there was no impediment to the marriage' .  A marriage bond was a sworn statement by the couple's friends or relatives, and often the groom, that there was no impediment.

(Herber also mentions that the bishop's surrogates were often more interested in collecting their fees for licences than in establishing the truth of the allegations made to them)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 March 09 18:32 GMT (UK) »
This is the first licence I have even thought of ordering a copy, although not the first on my tree, so having not seen one before I find it quite interesting reading.

The second half starts 'not knowing or believing any Impediment by reason of any (two words I can't as yet read) Affinity or any other cause whatsoever to hinder the said intended marriage'...

It sounds like this is more than just the usual already married to someone else bit!

Kerry

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 March 09 19:48 GMT (UK) »

The second half starts 'not knowing or believing any Impediment by reason of any (two words I can't as yet read) Affinity or any other cause whatsoever to hinder the said intended marriage

The 1798 marriage bond of one of my many-times-gr-grandfathers has:

... knowith of no let or impediment by reason of affinity, Consanguinity or any other
lawful means whatsoever to hinder the said intended marriage ...

Is consanguinity the word(s) you haven't deciphered yet?

:)
Koromo
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 March 09 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Koromo

Exactly,  ;D it looks like precontract? consanguinity affinity......

I'm going to have to look that up in the dictionary.

Kerry