Author Topic: (Completed) LEE  (Read 960 times)

Offline Hunter51

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(Completed) LEE
« on: Saturday 07 March 09 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find info on the Lee family from around the Gomersal area Elizabeth Lee abt 1823 Father might have been John Lee, Elizabeth had a son i think out of marriage called Allan Lee abt 1843 in 1846 Elizabeth married Thomas Holdsworth i  have most of the info after this time but before 1843 is a mystery, also Allan Lee married a Margaret Hudson some time between 1865 -- 1870 and i can't find the marriage anywhere.
Thank Alan.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LEE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 09 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat.
I had a look at the 1841 census but there are at least 4 Elizabeth Lee entries in Gomersal of about the right age so I fear that this is one occasion when getting her marriage certificate is essential to find out who her father is.
FreeBMD.org.uk has a match in March quarter of 1846 in Dewsbury Vol 22 p6
Regards
Andrea

Offline Hunter51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for you reply i have the marriage certificate for Elizabeth and Thomas her fathers name is down as John Lee he was a Dyer, but there is no date of birth.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 09 16:02 GMT (UK) »
If you have the certificate then it would be helpful to know all the information on it.  Occupations, ages, witnesses etc.  The latter are often family members.  You never get dates of birth on marriage certificates.  Just the age of bride and groom and that is not always accurate.   If there is a specific address that might help but often it just says Gomersal or whatever.
The names of their children might help as they may be named after the parents.  Do you know about Thomas' family?
Andrea

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 09 16:15 GMT (UK) »
The BMD entry for Allan is

Births Sept 1844
Lee Allan    Huddersfield  22  342

His birth cert could give a clue where Elizabeth was at the time. Of course she might not have been at home.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hunter51

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Dave I have his birth certificate it does not give alot of info it just says Twenty ninth of sep 1843 at Gomersal.

Boy.

Elizabeth Lee.

it has no Fathers name like you say on freebmd the date is 1844 Huddersfield. could i have the wrong birth certificate.