Author Topic: Galway Workhouse  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Galway Workhouse
« on: Sunday 08 March 09 09:24 GMT (UK) »
I have just received a death certificate that I believe is my Great Grandmothers. MARY RYAN died on the 17th March 1912 according to the certificate. I know for a fact that she was buried at Bohermore cemetry on the 21/3/1912, I have records of all in the grave. Doubts have come into my mind, firstly, because it says that she died in Galway Workhouse aged 36, she died of Pernicious Anaemia. Was the workhouse a hospital at the time does anyone know? The certificate says she was from Middle Street which is true, but it says wife of Labourer which is untrue. Her husband MICHAEL RYAN was a caretaker then Club Steward at the Mechanics Institute on Middle Street. Michael was a Labourer back in the 1870s.Also the death would have been registered after her burial according to the certificates date, is this normal?

I do hope someone can advise me before I claim this Mary as mine! Thanks

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Galway Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 09 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Was the workhouse a hospital at the time does anyone know?

Lots of workhouses had  hospital wings attached to them
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 09 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqui, I had a greatuncle who was born in Galway workhouse 1894. If you find any infomation or records to do with the workhouse, could you keep me informed please. I have been on the Galway workhouse web site but they don't seem to have much on the place.
Migky  ;)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 March 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for the replies.

Migky, I have e-mailed Galway Library to see if they have any records. Will let you know when they reply.

Take care

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline GALWAYBOY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 May 09 23:18 BST (UK) »

I have just received a death certificate that I believe is my Great Grandmothers. MARY RYAN died on the 17th March 1912 according to the certificate. I know for a fact that she was buried at Bohermore cemetry on the 21/3/1912, I have records of all in the grave. Doubts have come into my mind, firstly, because it says that she died in Galway Workhouse aged 36, she died of Pernicious Anaemia. Was the workhouse a hospital at the time does anyone know? The certificate says she was from Middle Street which is true, but it says wife of Labourer which is untrue. Her husband MICHAEL RYAN was a caretaker then Club Steward at the Mechanics Institute on Middle Street. Michael was a Labourer back in the 1870s.Also the death would have been registered after her burial according to the certificates date, is this normal?

I do hope someone can advise me before I claim this Mary as mine! Thanks

Jacqui

Jacqui,

I know of the Mechanics Institute in Middle Street Galway - a fine building which has survived the redevelopment of city centre Galway.
The mention of the term" labourer" is quiet common, especially if a person didn't fit into the more common trademens names in those times . There is a woman in Galway who I believe lives in the Mechanics Institute who is very knowledgeable about Middle Street, Old Galway and especially the Mechanics Inst - Nuala Nolan c/o MI. Middle Street Galway .

The difference between dates is not uncommon - I have a relative whose death is recorded in the newspapers but no record in the death registers!

Regards

Eamonn H

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 May 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Eammon

Thank you very much for the reply. I think after a lot of thought that I can rightly claim this Mary, most things seem to match, so I think she must be mine.

As regards the Mechanics Institute I have put posts on here before about the place. I was very fortunate to have been able to visit last year whilst on holiday in Galway with my parents. My mum used to stay there when she was a young girl in the 1930/40s. It was a great thrill for her to be able to go inside again after all these years. I was even sent a photograph of all the gentlemen sat outside, it even includes my Great grandfather, Michael Ryan.

many thanks once again for your interest.

jacqui

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 May 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the replies.

Migky, I have e-mailed Galway Library to see if they have any records. Will let you know when they reply.

Take care

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui, did you ever get a reply back from Galway Library concerning the workhouse there?
Migky ;)