Author Topic: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.  (Read 51881 times)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: 110th army troop royal engineers,East Lancashire.
« Reply #117 on: Monday 17 August 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting   ;D
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol.leigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 20 August 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Just seen a photo of someone with Alex Milne, I have a similar photo taken with my dad (Albert Ernest SNELSON) on the left and Alex MILNE. I think this was taken in Greece 1944

Offline safecontractor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Friday 21 August 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
carol.leigh ... thanks for that ... more info for you about Alex Milne .. he was, and remained for many years, a great friend of my fathers and with my Dad, I visited him and his family ( a son my age and a younger daughter) in Cults, Near Aberdeen, many times in the early and mid sixties. His family visited us in Manchester also.
Alex was a really nice, friendly, soft spoken man and returned from WW2 to his trade as a Stonemason in Aberdeen ( the Granite City ! ). Like lots of people, we all lost touch but we have many photos of both families.
Like my father, he is no longer with us but at Dad's reunions in Manchester, he was fondly remembered by, and was popular with, all his 110th comrades.
Topper
110th Royal Engineers ATC....WW2
Machine Gun Corps 40th Company Infantry. WW1
Cheshire Regiment 16th Battalion Bantams WW1

Offline carol.leigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 31 October 15 00:22 GMT (UK) »
No more information in the album than " The M T Boys " ... Johnnie Wood is Back Row 2nd from Right.

Topper

Hi
My dad Albert Ernest SNELSON is in this picture back row 4th form the right

Carol leigh

Offline shellimg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Monday 09 November 15 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find out a little more about what my grandfather got up to during the war.  We have a small amount of information and are actually applying for his full service record but until that arrives (and possibly even when it does) we have a little bit of a mystery surrounding one specific period during the end of 1942 when he appears to be at sea about "the Saturnia".  The reason I am joining in here is that his discharge papers state he was in 110 Royal Engineers when he de-mobbed.  I've had a quick look through all the wonderful photographs you have posted but cannot see him on any of them.  I know he didn't play any instruments so I'm not expecting to see him in the band photos but am surprised I cannot pick him out of any of the others.  I was therefore wondering if anyone has any information or recalls the name Alexander Angus.  He was also known as Sandy.  I really hope someone can help out and many many thanks in advance.

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 05:10 GMT (UK) »
That name doesn't ring a bell with me, but there are probably only three or four names that my dad mentioned consistently.  There are many photos on here that my dad isn't featured in, though some of the people he talked about clearly are.  You may be unlucky and the photos your dad was in, are still in someone's album, waiting to be discovered.  My dad never went to any of the Reunions, because we had moved out of Manchester by 1968; perhaps your dad attended a Reunion and can be found on the lists Topper and Gorton Boy have.

Offline shellimg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I knew it was a bit of a long shot but sometimes they have to be taken don't they :).  My grandad was actually from Edinburgh, although he relocated to Leeds in the 1960s but I know he definitely didn't go to any of the reunions either.  I am hoping there is someone on here that does remember a Scottish gentleman being mentioned as I'm sure there weren't too many of them in 110.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and if I find out anything interesting once we get his service record I'll let you know.  Thanks again x

Offline LamBowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 00:39 GMT (UK) »
You've put his name on here, so that's a start.  I was surprised when Topper made reference to his dad's friend, Alex Milne from Aberdeen; I had assumed that everyone in the 110th was local.  Good Luck!

Offline shellimg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Aw thank you so much x