Author Topic: Does Pensioner mean army service?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does Pensioner mean army service?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the help and at least now if I come across A2A again I'll know what it means.

Michael had a daughter Margaret born 1869 County Cork and she was married in 1894 (County Cork).

Regards,
Alchemyst

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alchemyst,

If I understand correctly, you have the word 'Pensioner' only from the 1894 marriage certificate of Michael's daughter Margaret?  Is that all it says?  Was Michael still alive?

Persumably it would not have meant an old-age pensioner because the oap was not introduced in Ireland until 1908.  Which certainly suggests that he might have been in the armed forces (or in the constabulary) and thus been in receipt of a pension.

Do you have Margaret's birth certificate?  If you don't, perhaps that would be the best step to take next as it might give further information about Michael's occupation?

Looking at the IGI at:
http://www.familysearch.org
I notice some records of children of Michael RUSSELL and Mary HOLMES.
*Thomas RUSSELL b 5 Feb 1865  0217, Carrignavar, Cork
*Marianne RUSSELL b 11 Sep 1867, Cork
*Margaret RUSSELL b 23 Dec 1869, Cork
*Hanna Helena RUSSELL b 27 Dec 1873 Carrignavar, Cork (Michael recorded as Michal)
*Bridget RUSSELL b 10 Sep 1878, Cork

The record for Thomas is the only one which lists the source as being the Irish civil registration records.

So, if you don't have Margaret's birth cert, and if you have any difficulty getting it, then at least you could get Thomas's and see if there is any further information about Michael's occupation on it ...
http://www.groireland.ie/

Perhaps the other records are extracted from church records?  They too might have further information.  You would need to know whether they were Protestant or Roman Catholic if you try to follow up on this.

Very best of luck,

JAP
PS: Re an earlier post (and I'll try to be objective and apolitical - apologies if I don't succeed but I'm trying to be very brief.)  Ireland didn't cease to be part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland until Dec 1922.  Though virtually immediately six of the counties of Ulster opted to rejoin the UK as Northern Ireland.  However, what this means is that Irish members of the armed forces at the time of which you are speaking were members of the British armed forces - and their records are to be found in the UK National Archives in London.  The National Archives has online research guides which are very helpful in providing information about information available and tips on research.
PPS: Interesting website at:
http://www.carraignabhfear.com/

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello JAP,
Thank you so much for all the information.  You have a very succinct and kind way of sharing your knowledge.   
If I do not find Michael was in the armed services I will certainly try to look into the constabulary as they seem to be everywhere in various branches (& other countries) of the family tree.
If I may be indulgent in sharing a childhood memory - as a child I once asked an Irish relative what part of Ireland she came from - her response was "Orange country" - whilst I did not say so at the time I thought that she must have come from an area where they grew a lot of oranges!!!  What can I say?? I was a child at the time and now am a lot older and hopefully a little wiser!  (& I do know about the Orange and the Green!)
My lesson this week has been to learn a lot more about the countries from which relatives come from.

Thanks again,
Alchemyst