Author Topic: FreeReg Volunteer!  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Re: FreeReg Volunteer!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 06:58 GMT (UK) »
My experience of transcribing for Freereg a couple of years ago was dismal.

Part of the problem is the transcriber has to source their own material which if like myself you live abroad this is very difficult.

When I applied I was made a county co ordinator. I did not wish for this as I had no material to offer anyone or to co ordinate. My fears were made known but no one addressed them.

The final straw came when my email address was put on the net. I had suffered numerous bogus emails, begging letters and some pretty upsetting stuff turning up in my mailbox. In the end I said enough was enough.

Its a great project but unlike freebmd the info for transcription is not so readily to hand.

There are a few other projects I know of

The Parish Register Transcription Society is very good I have transcribed for them - very professional. They do not profit from the sale of their discs- its all ploughed back into producing more.

Also http://www.forest-of-dean.net/  are often looking for volunteers

Also various OPC schemes

I would love to see Freereg succeed but with so many other organisations also working on parish records - and the sheer quantity of the data - plus the current level of management I think it will not be the obvious success Free reg has been.

shame
Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline FAB Fiona

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Good to see that you're on your way Fitty!  I've always found the OPC folk very friendly and responsive

Well done - and I know we all appreciate and gain from the work done by volunteer transcribers

Fiona
Bradbury-Gorton/Salford/Disley
Barker-Bury/Stockport/Cheadle, Staffs
Barrowclough-Salford/Sowerby
Berry-Coppull
Connolly-Hulme/Birkenhead/Ireland
Crowley, Renshaw & Steele-Manchester
De Rome-Salford/London
Godson-Gorton/Salford/Stafford
Hampson & Lofthouse-Salford
Kay-Bury
Mooney & Richmond-Dublin
Price & Sparks-Wirral
Pritchard-Stockport/Manchester/Leeds
Shaw-Standish
Stredder-Birkenhead/Liverpool/Folkingham
Sweeney-Salford/Chester
White-Manchester/Notts/Dublin
Ziegler-Staff

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 08:54 GMT (UK) »
It all seems a bit haphazard - I've done a little transcribing for FreeCen & have now turned my attention to FreeReg. As an OPC I'm keen to attempt all the records I can for my parish. We're very lucky in the Somerset research area, with a marvellous Yahoo Group which also arranges transcriptions of PRs, & the coordinators there arrange for our transcriptions to go on to FreeReg, if we wish

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Somethings not right here then. Is anyone here and active volunteer?

I did think about doing it, but my poor old eyes are squiffy enough, after hours of trawling through censuses for my own rellies.  I decided not to punish them any more !   Also, I'm not sure how long I could do it before it became an unbearable chore.  Maybe if I were a little bit younger ?

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nick
I have done  transcription work on and off for a few years - I am having a sabbatical at the moment for the reasons you mention- it is very hard on the eyes at times- especially transcribing from scans and trying to make sense of the often awful handwriting. Sometimes old handwriting is easier than modern scrawl.

However it is very rewarding as you feel you are putting back into the system - although many people like yourself do so very effectively by helping people through Roots. There are many roads to kindness.

I think its always easier to transcribe a parish one is interested in or have knowledge of - definately the case with place names.

I guess if we all transcribed just one register for a given parish the availability of the information would be so much better.

It is a labour of love and I have great respect for anyone who Transcribes -  there are a lot of people out there deserving a great pat on the back.

Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I keep meaning to type up all the notes I bring back on my families from trips to the local record offices and send them to the Sussex OPC.  I go through some parishes marking down every bmd of a certain family that could be invaluable information.

I am sure if we all did that it would be a start and great help!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I did some "transcribing" some time back, I can't even remember who it was for now, but it was really time-consuming and I seemed to spend more time checking what other people had already transcribed and then re-checking the checking.  I got totally disheartened and although I asked to be able to do some original transcribing, I didn't hear anything, so I gave up.  They didn't bother to contact me to ask me for feedback or anything.

I've volunteered since to transcribe Parish Registers etc. and like other Rootschatters heard absolutely nothing.  I have a friend who has transcribed for FreeBMD and also the 1911 census, so I think I'll write to her and ask how she gets the work, although she has said it is very time consuming.

Lizzie

Offline Grandadron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

I am the FreeReg coordinator for LEI & RUT. Maggie, one of my transcribers brought this topic to my attention. I was disturbed by the lack of response that some of you have experienced, and will raise the matter with the executive.
I cant comment on individual counties, it would be inappropriate, but can say that FreeReg does value their transcribers and would be volunteers.
The main problem we face is a shortage in supply of source material, some have it available others like myself  need to order it, this can take several weeks. I try where possible to reply within 48 hours to any email from volunteers. I will tell it as it is, and will not make promises I cant keep. So if there is anyone out there interested in LEI or RUT, get in touch and have a chat. If you have any transcripts that you would like to donate to help us out, that would be a great help

Ron

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 March 09 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I think i'll wait a bit longer for a reply from FreeREG. If not then i'll take up Grandadrons offer. Northants was my first choice and second was Leics.

Hopefully I'll be up and running soon.
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke