Author Topic: FreeReg Volunteer!  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
Re: FreeReg Volunteer!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Somethings not right here then. Is anyone here and active volunteer?
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke
Yorkshire - Stamper, Pickering

Offline Salvia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I am having the same problem.  I emailed the English counties co-ordinator (for FreeReg) - got no response.  Emailed the Scottish one and eventually got a reply but I am still not 'up and running'.  This was all a month ago.

Salvia
COUTTS-Kincardine & Herts,  COWIE-Angus,
FINCH-Herts, HUNT-Bucks & Herts, HIGHAM-Northants,
LANE-Bucks, LOADER-Herts, POYNTER-Bucks & Liverpool,
SPENCER-Hampshire, Bucks to Herts, STOTT-Aberdeenshire,
THOMAS-Northants & Chelsea

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I just received an email back saying that the Co-ordinator who covers Somerset works full time and usually only replies at the weekends, when he has the chance to go through all his emails,  He would have replied this weekend but he spent the time uploading new records for Somerset on FreeREG.

So i should hear something this weekend coming.

Fingers crossed.

The online parish clerks are always after folk to transcribe registers.  They are not in all areas, but the Lancashire one has links to the others:

www.lan-opc.org.uk

and go to the links

Fiona

I might email them too :)

---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 14:32 GMT (UK) »
I have been an active volunteer for FREEREG but have not been able to make contact in the last few months.

My county organiser is also a national organiser and in our last contact mentioned that he had been unwell, so I have not persisted in trying to make contact.

It may be an idea to try several different county organisers as at least one must be continuing the work as the last update was only a month ago.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I transcribe for FreeReg for Leicestershire - ours is a relatively new co-ordinator but he is very good and always answers emails.

It took me ages to get started though - the national organiser very rarely answers emails, I think he is probably inundated (to give him the benefit of the doubt).  I tried Leicestershire as a second option and am very happy.

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I volunteered last year for the 1851 census transcriptions for findmypast through our local family history society and heard nothing.

I keep being told we should do our bit to ensure records get online but everyone who offers hears nothing.  Hmmmm  :-\

Kerry

I volunteered for the 1851 with our local FHS and was taken on straight away, it was very interesting work - and we have now finished our allocation

Freebmd also was keen to hear from volunteers and I transcribed for them for quite a while.  It must depend on the local co-ordinators, but it seems sad that so many willing volunteers are not being taken up

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I took your advice Fiona and contacted the OPC and have had email back saying they are sending out a practice register for me to try. 

Eyes down and look in!   
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 00:07 GMT (UK) »
    Would be most interested to read of your progress, Fitty, as would many others, I'm sure. How about a blog of some kind? (If you can spare the time, that is . . .)
                  Pinot :)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 01:00 GMT (UK) »
i've already been sent the 1st practice scan and have done it and sent it back for checking. 

I'll let you know how it went when i get the results back.

It wasn't too bad actually, there were only a few names i had a problem with.  I did cheat slightly and open the scans in Paintshop pro and fiddle about with the colour. It made them much easier to see. 

They sent me a list of do's and don'ts, such as don't guess, just type what you see and don't correct any spelling mistakes. 

I got 50 to do, which was 3 pages.    I don't think they'll let me loose on proper ones until i've got a few practice ones right.

Was good fun though and interesting too.