Author Topic: Softening of the brain - what does this mean?  (Read 38791 times)

Online iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Softening of the brain - what does this mean?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Crowsfeet

It could have been something like that, although it was her 2nd child and usually pre-eclampsia leading to toxaemia happens during the first birth.  Perhaps it did and it was worse with the 2nd pregnancy.  Or perhaps the doctors just didn't know what her problem was.

Lizzie

The 'safety' aspect of pre-eclampsia not happening as often with the second only holds true if it's the same father, different paternal genes resets the risk to the same as first baby

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I assume it was the same father, they were married and lived together with their first born, a son.  The baby girl died aged 2 months from bronchitis and 3 months later the mother died from Softening of the Brain, and 2 months later the son died of peritonitis.  So between March 1881 and August 1881, the husband lost his wife and 2 children.   He remarried 3 years later, but sadly died himself a year after that from Phithis.

The married couple were brother and sister respectively of my g.grandmother and g.grandfather, so I was related to them on both sides of the family.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 March 16 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Early on the thread there was a query as to whether postmortem exams were carried out in the 1880s and the answer is yes, they were.

My ancestor died in the asylum; her death certificate states that she died of cancer of the stomach. I have managed to read her asylum medical records and it clearly states that a postmortem exam was to be held. The records of that were held in a different book at the archives office and I decided not to read that!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline ohbodder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 March 16 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was a reference to some form of dementia.  On the 1871 census one of my ancestors is recorded as "Imbecile from softening of brain" he was 45 at the time.  But it could also be a result of a stroke/hemorrhage.
Hancock, Hatton (Birmingham), Price and Fisher (Gloucestershire), Cyphas (Oxfordshire), Ensor and Morrow (Coventry), Fieldhouse (Uttoxeter)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 March 16 13:04 GMT (UK) »
ohbodder - everyone says they thought it was a reference to some form of dementia, but my g.aunt was just 21 when she died of softening of the brain only 2-3 months after the birth of her daughter who had already died.  She'd had the disease for 2 months, so my guess is that something catastrophic happened around the time of her giving birth.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 March 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
i remember my mother telling me about my maternal great grandfather, who apparently was a more than useful carpenter and metal worker though he had no formal training and was an Ag Lab. Apparently when he was in his late 70s he replaced the bottom of a saucepan for my great grandmother. Only problem the old boy had developed dementia, and though the new bottom was a perfect fit with no leakages around it (testimony to his skills) he had made it in WOOD so it was quite useless for cooking. Before anyone asks I am now 76!! so who knows, these postings my be the precursor to twilight. At least I shall never know

By the way, my great grandmother lived to be 91, and was the only one of her generation who lived in my lifetime. My Aunt, and my mother (2 of her grand daughters lived to be 98 and 99 respectively. Most of the women in the family live into their 90s, and usually without showing dementia symptoms.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 March 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
ohbodder - everyone says they thought it was a reference to some form of dementia, but my g.aunt was just 21 when she died of softening of the brain only 2-3 months after the birth of her daughter who had already died.  She'd had the disease for 2 months, so my guess is that something catastrophic happened around the time of her giving birth.

Can the strains of birth bring on a stroke?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 March 16 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Can the strains of birth bring on a stroke?
  Less likely nowadays, but if her blood pressure was very high - pre-eclampsia or even full blown toxaemia - it would have been very likely.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarification Lizzie.