Author Topic: Searching the name Bruce-Green/De Wolfson.  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Alienboy36

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching the name Bruce-Green/De Wolfson.
« on: Tuesday 10 March 09 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm currently researching my family name, and want to find any info i can on the name "Bruce-Green".
My grandparents use to live in NW London, and i believe my great nan and grandad used to own a chemists somewhere in London. I would be grateful for any info on this.
I'm also researching the name Bruce-Green De Wolfson, as this use to be the family name many decades ago. Any info on this would be great too!
As my father, and both grandparents have passed away, im very short of info???

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching the name Bruce-Green/De Wolfson.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
It is usually best to start with what you knoe for definite and work back to the unknown, confirming each step as you go from as many sources as you can before moving on.

So - do you know when your grandparents married? When/where they were born? Have you any certificates (birth/marriage/death) for them?
If not sure, then move a generation nearer and start there - have you got your fathers birth cert (which will give mums maiden name and help you find the marriage)?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Rootschat :)

See link below for some information someone has posted on another site about a "Green de Wolfson" family headed by a Bruce Green de Wolfson (Bruce appears to have been his given name).

http://www.sheffieldfhs2.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?b-gb/m-1175933962/

Is this connected to your family?

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I am going to hazard a guess that your paternal grandfather was named Norman Cecil Bruce-Green, b 4 March 1922, lived in Colindale for a long time and died in about April 2005 in the London borough of Brent. I see a possible daughter for him b 1944 and son David John Bruce-Green b 1946, the latter of whom died in the City of Westminster in 1997.  Both children's birth registrations show their mother's maiden name to have been Mansell.

Am I on the right track?  If so it does not appear that Norman's surname at birth was Bruce-Green (unless he was born somewhere other than England & Wales). The name (as a combination) seems to be sufficiently rare that he may have been the first bearer of it.

N.B. You may or may not be aware that on Rootschat we are careful not to name any living people in order to protect them from identity theft etc.

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 18:35 GMT (UK) »
In case I'm on the right track, here's a marriage:

Jun qtr 1942

Norman C BRUCE-GREEN
Eugenie MANSELL

Newcastle upon Tyne 10b 324

By sending off for the marriage certificate (which you can do for £7 online at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ - registration required) you should be able to find out the names and occupations of both spouses' fathers which will enable you to take your research further.

Anna :)

Offline Alienboy36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help Lizdb.
I don't have any marriage/birth certificates for my grandparents, but fortunately a message from avm228 has revealed a few things.
Cant believe how helpful people are on this site, was very surprised to see i had already received 4 messages since posting my question yesterday.
So i thank you once again :)

Offline Alienboy36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Rootschat :)

See link below for some information someone has posted on another site about a "Green de Wolfson" family headed by a Bruce Green de Wolfson (Bruce appears to have been his given name).

http://www.sheffieldfhs2.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?b-gb/m-1175933962/

Is this connected to your family?

Anna

Hi Anna,
Thank you very much for your help, I looked at the link you gave me, unfortunately i dont think it is connected to my family.
The surname im looking for is Bruce-Green De Wolfson, their surname appears to be Green De Wolfson. Very close though :)
Thanks anyway :)

Offline Alienboy36

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I am going to hazard a guess that your paternal grandfather was named Norman Cecil Bruce-Green, b 4 March 1922, lived in Colindale for a long time and died in about April 2005 in the London borough of Brent. I see a possible daughter for him b 1944 and son David John Bruce-Green b 1946, the latter of whom died in the City of Westminster in 1997.  Both children's birth registrations show their mother's maiden name to have been Mansell.

Am I on the right track?  If so it does not appear that Norman's surname at birth was Bruce-Green (unless he was born somewhere other than England & Wales). The name (as a combination) seems to be sufficiently rare that he may have been the first bearer of it.

N.B. You may or may not be aware that on Rootschat we are careful not to name any living people in order to protect them from identity theft etc.

Anna

All i can say Anna is you appear to be very good at researching family names as you have found both my grandparents info, my aunt, and my late father David.
You are definately on the right track, and are spot on with my grandad, he wasn't  born in England or Wales, he was born in Shanghai, China.
This is as far as i have got with my research, as i haven't got an idea how i can research futher back than my grandad if he was born in China.
Any idea's?
I wasn't aware that you couldn't mention any living people on Rootschat, i shall bear this in mind for the future.
Once again thank you for your help. :)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »

You are definately on the right track, and are spot on with my grandad, he wasn't  born in England or Wales, he was born in Shanghai, China.
This is as far as i have got with my research, as i haven't got an idea how i can research futher back than my grandad if he was born in China.
Any idea's?

Have a look back at my reply #4 above about the marriage certificate.

Also, here's something useful - a passenger list of the Japanese vessel "Fushimi Maru" which sailed from Yokohama to London in November 1932.

The first-class passengers who embarked at Shanghai (bound for London) were as follows:

GREEN, Edgar Bruce, Harbour Master Shanghai, 42
GREEN, Bertha Victoria, H[ome] D[uties], 33
GREEN, Alwyn Edgar Bruce, School, 14
GREEN, Joyce Bruce, School, 13
GREEN, Norman Cecil Bruce, School, 10

Last permanent residence for them all was China.  Intended future residence was "Foreign Countries" (could well have been China again) for Edgar, Bertha and Joyce, and "England" for the boys Alwyn and Norman.  The purpose of the trip might well have been to bring the two boys back for school, with the parents and daughter returning to carry on their life overseas.  The family's address in the UK was c/o Chartered Bank of India, London.

Anna