Author Topic: Brick wall - Thomas Durant x 2  (Read 5298 times)

Offline marcuswraight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick wall - Thomas Durant x 2
« on: Wednesday 11 March 09 01:11 GMT (UK) »

To my horror I have just discovered something that makes a flimsy part of my family tree flimier than a house of cards.

Here is the problem. I cannot find any definite trace of the marriage of Thomas Durant (b1840 Rosliston) to Hannah (b1845 in Coton in the Elms). They had lots of children - Wilfred, Mary Louisa (b 1863, I think the first), Thomas, Rosa, Edith, Clara, George, Leonard, William, John Henry, Frank Howard and Laura.  Obviously finding that marriage will help me get a definitive progression of my tree, as well as an absolute certainty about Hannah's maiden name, which is either Fearn or Fern (she must have been illiterate - these are from two BMD certificates).

I have what I think are his parents - but I have now discovered on the IGI, to my astonishment, that there are two christenings in Rosliston with people called Thomas Durant. My great great grandfather died in 1913 for sure.

Any possible idea how I can at least trace the marriage of Thomas and Hannah to get round this problem?  The only clue was in FreeBMD which had a Thomas Durant for 1862 - but no spouse on the same page. 

Help!

Marcus

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall - Thomas Durant x 2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again :)

Thomas Durant, March 1862, Burton , 66 389

Hannah FEARN, March 1862, Burton, 66 381

Just think her ref has been mistranscribed as a 1 instead of 9

Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline marcuswraight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 02:37 GMT (UK) »

You are just such a star!  AGAIN!

Marcus

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 08:32 GMT (UK) »

Your welcome Marcus ;D. I would help more but need to renew my Ancestry sub.

Cheers,
trish

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline marcuswraight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 12:33 GMT (UK) »

Sometimes it just takes a second set of eyes to see something obvious in methods or fact to spot what might be close or staring straight at you!

Re Ancestry = why not do what I do and list all the things you need to do, subscribe and then immediately cancel. That way you get to do all those things you need to do productively and without kicking yourself for holding on to a subscription you use sporadically. Plus it is a much cheaper way of doing it too...

Anyway, thanks for being the second pair of eyes I needed.

Marcus

Offline marcuswraight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 April 09 03:50 BST (UK) »
Trish...

Slight problem.. I ordered the certificate on that basis (thinking at last I have got past this) and the GRO sent my money back saying no record exists...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Any thoughts...?

Marcus

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 April 09 09:25 BST (UK) »

:-[ :-[ :-[ So sorry Marcus, will have another look at it later as have people over.

Trish

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 April 09 10:21 BST (UK) »

MM see what you mean Marcus, parents Thomas and Elizabeth or James and Sarah. Someone with Tree on ancestry has parents as T/E but  census entries with both lots of parents ???
Lovely photo of Thomas  born 1840ish though ;D

There is no obvious birth on Freebmd for him also.

Still searching,
Trish

Offline deryckjohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 April 09 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hannah Fearn married James Pickering    Tutbury, St Mary

http://www.bmsgh.org/staffsbmd/index.html