Author Topic: Harold/John Gerlitz  (Read 5120 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harold/John Gerlitz
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 March 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm allowed to post this with copyright header intact  as such:
Copyright 2005
Patrice Miller
http://www.webbitt.com/volga/by-date-ships-yagoda.txt

from a list of immigrants on the ship Ascania July 20, 1911 / Southampton to Quebec
going to : Gerlitz, Ivan/in Calgary
Goerlitz, John age 25   
Goerlitz, Sophia age 25
Goerlitz, Johann age 2   ( may have become your "Jack" as "John" is same name derivative)

This is a good transcription two uses of names is listed...( also Gorlitz, Gorelitz )  My great uncles all changed their names from Righetti to Rigetti when they came here...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 March 09 22:58 GMT (UK) »
http://calgarychapterahsgr.ca/g.htm  Calgary surnames from obits, but no Sophia in there either....Also don't see this Ivan on the 1911...
but do see another glitch in the visible transcriptions as they only listed forenames up to "P" or were there no Theresia or Wilhem, etc...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 09 01:24 GMT (UK) »
www.afhs.ab.ca/data/cemeteries/search.php
shows Sophia Gerlitz death 1925 under Burnsland cemetery
More info can be asked for
Also John (George) Gerlitz which may indicate a change in Christian name used.
Hope this helps
Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 09 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Here Goes !!!!!
Go to Ancestry or Google 1916 census Calgary  THEN using the spelling GORLITZ you will find
John GORLITZ b. 1886   Sofia GORLITZ b. 1886  John GORLITZ  age 8  Minauva GORLITZ age 3 all living in Alberta, Calgary East

Then pay to see the transcripts and I THINK you'll find your family ...at least they seem to fit the info given
Good Luck All
Blunden, Wilkins, Holden , Barker, Cox, Kitchen, Black, Turner, Dixon (England) Grierson, Ferguson, Campbell, Jardine, Black (Scotland

Offline Perrin Dixon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 March 09 01:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm allowed to post this with copyright header intact  as such:
Copyright 2005
Patrice Miller
http://www.webbitt.com/volga/by-date-ships-yagoda.txt

from a list of immigrants on the ship Ascania July 20, 1911 / Southampton to Quebec
going to : Gerlitz, Ivan/in Calgary
Goerlitz, John age 25   
Goerlitz, Sophia age 25
Goerlitz, Johann age 2   ( may have become your "Jack" as "John" is same name derivative)

This is a good transcription two uses of names is listed...( also Gorlitz, Gorelitz )  My great uncles all changed their names from Righetti to Rigetti when they came here...

I'm PRETTY sure this is them!!! John and Sophia came to Canada with their one son (my grandpa's older brother) and my grandpa was born in Calgary in 1918... are there any other ways to find information on these folks, that you know of?
Dixon, Gerlitz, Pritchard-Mackenery, Hadden, King, Kirby, Shirman

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 March 09 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Here is that ship's list, then, if you think it is your ancestors...There may or may not be more information on the image
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/001045-119.01-e.php?&sisn_id_nbr=5699

I have looked through and cannot see them. Have a look and if you don't see them I'll get someone to check for the actual ship's date for you...If you do find them in there & the information is not clear, let me know what page and I'll try to make the image more legible... J.J.

Offline dblun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 March 09 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Michael
Perhaps some kind soul will check the city directories of Calgary for the period 1918 onward. These are available at the Glenbow Museum and possibly the Calgary public library. Unfortunately I will not be in Calgary until sometime in April. If you have not found a good samaritan before then I will try to pop in and have a look for you.
City directories provide address, and occupation ( not the company though).
I would suggest that the Public Library may have an obituary for Sofia.
Good Luck and let me know if you get any assistance in the next while
Dorothy

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 March 09 06:02 GMT (UK) »
*** ammended post.

There are no mods on line and I am unsure of the privacy rule for living people and/or if it covers public directories or not.

I have sent the information to Michael as a private message.  It was taken from the 1940 Henderson Directory and involved 4 members of his family. (I hope  :D  )

dollylee

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 March 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
It is the policy of this site to not publish names of the living on the site, for the Canada board for sure. I know they discourage looking for the living, as we are supposed to be looking for ancestors on here, and encourage using the private messaging system for all else.
  I actually think we are supposed to look for information back in Russia, which is only just starting to slowly come online recently, usual thanks to the LDS...Right now there are only some Lutheran baptism /marriage duplicates & nothing for the Province of Saratov/ Saratow that I can see. ( although I hope they list where they are from on the passenger list so that you can confirm their origin, as well ...family recalled history not always right... )
This is only browseable, by the way, not searchable by surname...I am not sure what regions these names are as I haven't found the few I looked for on a map...
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1207596135593#p=collectionDetails;c=1469151;t=browsable;w=0
Michael do you have the birth of your grandfather, as if you do not have the maiden name of your grandmother, it will be harder to find the marriage when something might be found...
Also I will search out some sites for you re: Russian genealogy...