Author Topic: somewhere, someone will recognize this uniform  (Read 2605 times)

Offline krystalRose59

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
somewhere, someone will recognize this uniform
« on: Friday 13 March 09 03:43 GMT (UK) »
This is my only copy of this uniformed man that I have at the present time. I expect to have a better image soon. Im hoping someone will recognize the uniform. It has been suggested that the man was part of the Seaforth Highlanders. I have my doubts that this is the case. Timeline is off. I may be wrong in concluding that this is George Steer. Maybe a pic sent to him of another relative.Then I thought it might have been the father George Steer (b:1802). George senior was a Sapper/Miner from 1827-1848, discharged with chronic back pain. I cant imagine he would re - up at his age and a bad back. George junior would have been too young at the time the photo was taken (b:1843). The original photo is of a tin type.
YOUNG, HOOKER, DAY,

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: somewhere, someone will recognize this uniform
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
As he has the no 72 on his pillbox hat, he was possibly with the Duke of Albany's Highlander's.

The photo appears to be  early-mid 1860s.   The timeline for the Seaforth Highlanders:

a)
1778 - 1786 -78th Highland Regiment of Foot
1786 - 1809 - re-numbered 72nd (Highland) Regiment of Foot
1809 - 1823 - 72nd Regiment of Foot
1823 - 1881 - 72nd (The Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders) Regiment of Foot
1881 - 1961 - (with 78th) The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's)
1961            - (with Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders) The Queens Own Highlanders (Seaforth & Camerons)

b)
1793 - 1795 -  78th (Highland) Regiment of Foot
1795 - 1881 -  78th (Highland) Regiment of Foot, or Ross-shire Buffs
1881                (with 72nd) 2nd Battalion, The Seaforth Highlanders, The Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-                         shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's)

It is a puzzle why he does not have tartan trews.  After 1808, the 72nd Rgiment of Foot were no longer kilted (until 1881).  Perhaps for a time they dressed as an English Line Regiment. 

Hopefully, someone else can be more helpful.

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Looks all OK to me!

Better get Isandlwana in for this though....

Haven't we seen this pic before on here??  :o :o

He does look rather familiar.... ???
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline krystalRose59

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 09 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply . This is the first time I posted on this particular board. I say the timeline is off because of the ages of the two men I have suspected this to be a picture of. George Steer Senior, served as a Sapper/Miner from 1827 - 1848, honorable discharge with chronic bad back. I cannot imagine him re-enlisting after his discharge at his age, with a bad back. That leaves George Steer junior, born 1843 in Gibraltar. From my research the Seaforth Highlanders did serve time on the rock. Is there such a thing as a man enlisting in one branch of military, then transferring to another branch/regiment  etc? George senior enlisted and was discharged out of Woolwich ,Kent,England.
YOUNG, HOOKER, DAY,

Offline John Young

• RootsChat Senior
  • Isandlwana - The Hill of the Sphinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 09 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I think we can discount the photograph being a member of the 72nd (The Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders) Regiment of Foot.

As Atom12 points out he's not wearing tartan trews, nor is he wearing a diced kilmarnock, let alone a Highlander pattern tunic.

Personally, I think he's Canadian Militia from the old 72nd (2nd Annapolis) Battalion of Infantry from Nova Scotia, circa the Fenian Raids post-the American Civil War.  Which tends to tie in with fact he isn't a regular British soldier, as a British Line Infantry sergeant would carry a sword bayonet.

So you got any Canadian relatives? 

Isandlwana
...Neither praise nor blame add to their epitaph but like it be simple as that which marked Thermopylae.
Tell it in England those that pass us by, here, faithful to their charge, her soldiers lie.