Author Topic: What does this mean?  (Read 4881 times)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What does this mean?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 March 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Maggie, I've known a couple of pubs with that name in the Midlands. Co-incidentally, I belive the William IV is also on or near the canal.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 March 09 22:19 GMT (UK) »
The name the Old House at Home comes from an early Victorian song popular with soldiers far from home.

http://www.youngs.co.uk/pub-detail.asp?PubID=306

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 March 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan & Paul,

Yes - I knew that the name was from a Victorian song and that it was not the only pub/beerhouse by that name.  Mine was in Church, Accrington, Lancs.  It is no longer there but I have a picture of it published in a book on Accrington, and I know there is another pub by that name still existing in Rawtenstall, Lancs.

I still have items of brassware from that beerhouse, passed on to me via my grandmother.  They are a pain to keep polished but I would never part with them.

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 March 09 23:40 GMT (UK) »
It was also fairly common for a blacksmith to be associated with a beerhouse or inn.  I have blacksmiths in my family who worked from the yard of a pub and publicans who had blacksmiths in their yard.

I think it was to do with customers who were waiting for a horse to be shod or a piece of machinery to be repaired having a beer while they waited.  Running a beerhouse was also something a blacksmith's wife could do if she was unable to help with the smithing although the licence would be in  .
his name.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk