Author Topic: 1861 Lookup - Witham  (Read 1383 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1861 Lookup - Witham
« on: Wednesday 16 February 05 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Could someone lookup Thomas Witham or Whitham in the 1861 census, please?

The first time I find him is in the 1891 when he was said to be born Norwich around 1845.  Can't find him in 1881 or 1871 and he has died before 1901.

Many thanks
Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Lookup - Witham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosneath,

Was he married with children in 1891?? Have you tried searching from that Angle. He might have said he was from Norwich in 1891 but could have been put down as a different place on the 1881/1871. If he did have children try looking for them in 1881/1871 and see what you get.

Norwich is a big area and isn't searchable by name. You really need to find him on the 1881 or 1871 before you can get back further.

Was he living in Norwich in 1891?? That could help find him.

If you could post the details you have from the 1891 and then we can all try and sort him out for you.

Thats the best I can do for you I am afraid.

All the best Angela.

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

Thanks for your help.  Sorry I didn't put more info in first post - beginner at this!

Here is what I have in the household from the 1891 census:

Civil parish of Heigham; Municipal Borough of Norwich; 116 Armes Street

Thomas Whitham; Head; Single; 46; Shoe Finisher; Employed; Norfolk, Norwich
Eliza Bazants (sic, actually Bezants); Servant; Single; 26; Housekeeper (domestic); Norfolk, Norwich
Eliza Bazants; Servants daughter; 3; Norfolk, Norwich
Thomas Bazants; Servants son; 1; Norfolk, Norwich
female Bazants; Servants daughter; 1 month; Norfolk, Norwich

All these children are registered with Witham as their middle names so Thomas is assumed to be their father.  Eliza was married to a Thomas Bezants at this time who was living with Annie Browne, round the corner from Armes Street.  So I assume that 'single' just means 'not living with spouse' in this particular case!

There is no Thomas Witham or Whitham of anything resembling the right age, born in Norfolk in either the 1881 or 1871. 

In the 1871 however, there is at (no house number on the image) Northumberland Street, Heigham, Norwich a Thos Witham age 52 Shoemaker born Norwich who I thought might be his father but my Thomas isn't in the household.  I thought he might have been a soldier and serving abroad therefore not included in the census, or something like that.

That's why I thought the 1861 might help.

Any offers of help most appreciated!

Isabel
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isabel.

I will have a quick look around the 1861 mainly around the address you mentioned and see what I can find. One thing though. Why do you think Thomas is the father. Could he not be the Grandfather??? Many woman gave their last name as middle name to children. The fact you have her married and hubby is still alive I would think the children are his and that Thomas is the granddad. Could be that he was ill as he didn't survive till 1901 and she moved in to mind him. Or she had a falling out with hubby?!

Talk to you later. Angela.

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Sorry I have found nothing to help you trace your Thomas. I haven't searched the whole of Heigham but have done  quite a bit of it. There are just too many entries to go through them all. Sorry.

I tried the 1851 which is searchable by name but no Thomas that fits. I know that that must be very fustrating for you but your Thomas has made it very difficult to trace him.

Maybe if you found Thomas's death date  his cert or tombstone would hold some clue to his actual birth date and place and you could work from there.

Sorry I couldn't find anything for you.

All the best with your search for him.

Angela.

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 05 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

Thank you for looking, much appreciated!

The grandfather idea is a good one but regretfully I know Thomas isn't the grandfather - Eliza's maiden name was Dobbs and her mother was Rebecca Grimson so I can track her family quite clearly.  I can also track Thomas Bezant's family OK, too, and no Witham turns up there!

The only other guesswork link I can pick up is that there's an Alfred Witham in that Witham household in the 1871 census and an Alfred Witham married Martha Grimson.  Eliza is staying with them in the 1881 census as niece of the head of the household.  So it seems likely that Martha was Rebecca's sister and Eliza's aunt. 

This could be how the Witham connection was made.  But why Thomas is so elusive is a puzzle.  If he just isn't in any census from the age of 6  (1851) to the age of 46 (1891), where was he?   Did he change his name?  Was he abroad?  I will get that death cert and see if it tells me anything!

I like your idea of the names and the children being hubby's but as they all seemed to drop the name Bezants in favour of the Witham in later life, I think it is highly likely that Witham was the father.

Thanks again
Isabel   :)
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 February 05 10:30 GMT (UK) »
You have a real puzzle on your hands here.

Did you ever get birth certs for Eliza's children? That might help.

The fact that Thomas isn't showing on the 1851 census could mean he was somewhere else and meerly put Norwich down as his birth residence as this is where he was living. I have a relative that moved through nearly all the counties and always put the last place he lived in as his place of birth which got very confusing.
Have you tried this site at all

http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php

It might be useful.

you could also search the Newspapers of the time to see if there is any obit on him.

You could get in touch with the Norfolk Family History Society and see if they could help.

Have you tried looking to see if he left a will?

I don't know what else to suggest.

Hope you are able to find him.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

All the very best Angela.