Author Topic: John and Eliza Corr Dublin / Lancashire  (Read 2935 times)

Offline owdumlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John and Eliza Corr Dublin / Lancashire
« on: Saturday 14 March 09 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had come across the following names in their research ?

John Corr Born abt 1850 Ireland
Eliza Corr Born abt 1851 Dublin Ireland

They are my Great Grandparents . They first turn up in Wigan , Lancashire in 1881 (Census) with two children John ed and Eliza. It shows their surname as Core but I'm assuming that the spelling would have been the work of whoever was doing the Census at the time.

They then moved to Leigh, Lancashire where they have a third child George ( my Grandfather).

My Gt Grandfather John  passed away at age 36 in 1886 in Leigh, Lancashire .

My Gt Grandmother for whatever reason then moved to Hollinwood , Oldham , lancashire and is found on the 1901 Census living with her son George (my Grandfather) age 16. I have a copy of my Grandfather George's birth Certificate and it shows his Mothers maiden name as "Terril" but again when registering the birth it would be up to the person writing the information down as to how it was spelled. I say this because there is a "X" for my Gt Grandmothers signature , saying "this is the mark of Eliza Corr " .

Probably too much detail but I thought maybe some of this may by chance be familiar to someone .

Thank you in advance for any assistance or guidance on how to trace them back to Ireland  that someone may be able to provide.

Thanks
Tony

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John and Eliza Corr Dublin / Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 09 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that surname might have been Tyrell..

There is a marriage of an Eliza Tyrell on the familysearch Irish Civil index in 1871 - which would make Eliza about age 22..

Name: Eliza Tyrell
Reg district: Dublin South
Record type: Marriage
Date : 1873
Volume: 17 / page: 707

there are also a few John Corr marriages around the same time - but none that I can link at the moment..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline owdumlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane ,

I've been looking for a few years on and off but you are the first person to come up with some information.
Where could I look for Births ?

Thanks again
Tony.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 08:09 GMT (UK) »
the births of John and Eliza are before the start of Civil Registration (1864) so you will need to try parish records. Without knowing details of parish & religion - this could be difficult. For example County Dublin had about  23 RC parishes and the City of Dublin a further 14 or so.

Microfilms for many parishes are available in the National Library in Dublin and to order at various LDS centres. The Irish Family History Foundation has parish transcripts searchable on line at www.irish-roots.ie   these are pay-per-view (€5) - but dont contain every county. e.g. much of Co. Dublin is included but not the City.

I'd start with trying to find the marriage - at least then you would have fathers names and a place of marriage.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline OzziGeorge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I have started researching my family tree and it appears we share the same grandfather, George Corr, I was stuck at the 1901 census when I came across this post whilst googling his mother Eliza Corr. It is all very interesting.

My name is also George Corr and my fathers name was Ernest Corr I believe the brother of your father who must be my uncle Edwin.

Kind Regards

George

Offline owdumlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 July 11 01:59 BST (UK) »
Eh up !! George ,

Re: family tree , I got stuck at our Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother from Ireland . I do have our Great Grandfathers death Cert but that's all I can find  up to now .

All the Best Tony and Janis . 

Offline OzziGeorge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 July 11 01:37 BST (UK) »
Tony,

I came back today to get your email addresses to write seperately from the forum but they have been removed, by the moderator presumably and I cannot send a PM until I have done three posts!

I think I can remember one of them so will try sometime this morning

Cheers

George

Offline puggy2006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 November 12 20:10 GMT (UK) »
hi
i also have an eliza(elisha)corr from dublin.her husband was john caldwell that makes her my 3x great grand mother she is on the marriage cert of their son john caldwell 1882 (the addrerss was 192 great brittain street dublin maybe theres a link
hope this helps a little
regards
dave