Author Topic: where is or was Hag field?  (Read 8992 times)

Offline Yellabelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where is or was Hag field?
« on: Saturday 14 March 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am hoping I may now be on the right track with the Maye family thanks to various links through this site. (I just hope its the right branch!)

It appears that my grandfather may have been brought up in Kilkelly along with 7 brothers and 2 sister on a family farm 7 brothers and both sisters left Ireland in early 1920's for England and America while the eldest John stayed at the farm, but records seem to show that some have their place of birth or up bringing as Hag field or just as Kilkelly my grandfather was possibly registered in Swineford. it seems a bit complicated can any one help ?
 where was or is Hag field ?

thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: where is or was Hag field?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hag-field seems to be near to Charlestown, Co. Mayo

it's mentioned on a few web-pages including : http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2006/07/04/story31708.asp

it shows up on google maps if you enter "hagfield, co. mayo"

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hagfield is a village near Charlestown. Charlestown is the nearest town Farming land.
The Irish name is Trian na cailligh meaning The Hags third part.
  Other towns nearby are Claremorris,Ballina, Westpoint,and Ballyhaunis.

Offline Yellabelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 09 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
your replies now give me a better idea where I need to focus. If this is the right branch of the Maye family the farm house was bought by a son of one of the brothers in the past 20 years so may be easy to find (I hope)

Thank you

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 09 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I hope you have luck. I am told there are new houses being built there now.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 09 11:20 GMT (UK) »
In 1997 there was a Book written by a Local Historian about Charlestown and the surrounding areas.
              If I remember rightly it was written by Morgan Morris.Called
"Doorways to the Past" I know it sold well in the pubs and the postoffice in Charlestown. Alot of local people put their Knowledge into the book.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 09 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
your replies now give me a better idea where I need to focus. If this is the right branch of the Maye family the farm house was bought by a son of one of the brothers in the past 20 years so may be easy to find (I hope)

Thank you

You could try looking here.. http://www.valoff.ie/index.html       and put in any details you know, you could also try Googling Pages from Ireland> Hagfield and advanced search for planning permission, or a letter to the local post office asking if they could pass on a message to them if they knew them......
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline amandafox84

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 12 21:32 BST (UK) »
I don't think you are wrong as my family lived in the house next door and grew up with the Maye family. My grandad may he rip is a Flatley. And i know one of the Maye descendants who now lives in London!

Offline trishwalters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 November 13 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Yellabelly,
I know this is an old post, but I am looking for Maye relatives from Hagfield as my family and I are traveling to Ireland next week.  One stop on our trip is to head up to the area of my grandfather's birth and childhood.  His name is Martin Maye (b. 1898/99), father Michael, mother Mary Duffy, grandfather John Maye.  Martin left Hagfield for Wigan England to work in the mines in about 1920.  Are we related?  If so, what did you find out?  I'd love to find the family farm, as I understand the actual home is gone.  Last I heard the land was still in the Maye's posession.  I was told descendents of John (Slok) Maye own it.  I was told my grandfather was baptised in St. Michael's in the center of Charlestown, but can't find a catholic church in Charlestown by that name.  Any info you can provide is appreciated.  We leave in SIX DAYS!
Thanks.
Tricia